55 Gallon Tank Looking for ideas for Centerpiece fish for 55g with Serpaes.

Ambie

Attachments

• 20210402_225810.jpg
    20210402_225810.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 20

RedOnion

I'm looking for a 1-3 large centerpeice fish that would work with serpaes, I was thinking maybe 1-2 blue gourami or a group of boesemani rainbows.

My current stock is 10 Serpae tetras, 4 Peppered cories, and two nerites.
Also planned on increasing the number of serpaes to 20-25, 8-10 peppered cories and also adding amano shrimp colony.

Photo of the tank.
love the plants in your tank! What about pearl gouramis?

Upvote 0

PurpleReign19

I have always wanted pearls. They would look good but the tetras could be nippy and bother them. A larger, faster schooling fish might be better suited with your current stocking.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

I have pearl gouramis (9) with my serpae tetras, and that's worked well, and I don't see any reason why Boesmani rainbows (or any of the larger rainbows), or another gourami species, wouldn't also work just fine.

I have always wanted pearls. They would look good but the tetras could be nippy and bother them. A larger, faster schooling fish might be better suited with your current stocking.

I don't think it would be an issue with the numbers of serpaes you have now, and especially after you increase the school.

Upvote 0

Ambie

I have pearl gouramis (9) with my serpae tetras, and that's worked well, and I don't see any reason why Boesmani rainbows (or any of the larger rainbows), or another gourami species, wouldn't also work just fine.

I don't think it would be an issue with the numbers of serpaes you have now, and especially after you increase the school.
My original plan was with angels than i found out about the nipping and had to scrap the angels since i already had the serpaes.

Would i need a certain ratio of male to female? I would like to have at least 2 bigger fish.
Also, I use a sunsun 304b is that too strong for the pearl or blue gouramis?
That's another one i was think but i've had some trouble finding them since i don't have a lfs just big box and online.

Upvote 0

fallfever

Pearls would be fine as Jetts said and the serpaes would be focused on each other. Being the horrible person I am, I really don't care for pearls as standouts in a tank. Kind of bland and motionless for that purpose, but a great community tank member. Rainbow fish, on the other hand, could fill that tank up with activity and color, especially with both males and females present. I am biased, of course.

Upvote 0

Ambie

It's grown in a bit.
Pearls would be fine as Jetts said and the serpaes would be focused on each other. Being the horrible person I am, I really don't care for pearls as standouts in a tank. Kind of bland and motionless for that purpose, but a great community tank member. Rainbow fish, on the other hand, could fill that tank up with activity and color, especially with both males and females present. I am biased, of course.
Pearls aren't my top pick either, all those white spots would make me paranoid about ick.
About 4-5 boosemani would be my 1st pick. Do you know any good online stores for them?
liveaquaria has some but i haven't heard the best about them.

Attachments

• 20210413_135010.jpg
    20210413_135010.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0

Islandvic

Consider 2-3 Electric Blue Acara or Rainbow Cichlids. The Rainbow Cichlids aren't as common and have a nice yellow color.

I have 1 EBA and 2 Rainbow Cichlds in our 65g community tank. Their tankmates include corydoras, khuli loaches, serpae tetras, black neon tetras, cherry barbs, geophagus tapajos, etc etc.

I have not seen the EBA or Rainbow Cichlids act aggressive to the other community fish.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

Would i need a certain ratio of male to female? I would like to have at least 2 bigger fish.

It would be best to have more females than males.

Also, I use a sunsun 304b is that too strong for the pearl or blue gouramis?

I'm not familiar with that filter enough to be able to answer.

Upvote 0

Chris87

Dwarf cichlids aristos or Bolivian rams German blues if they can handle the higher temps.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
silver24
  • Question
Replies
Views
MisterSnuffles
  • Question
Replies
Views