Looking for ideal catfish

1. raptorsvt79

raptorsvt79 Well Known Member Member

I have a 55 gallon, partially planted tank...I have 2 mid sized angel fish, 8 harlequin rasboras, 2 blue rams and 2 bristle nose plecos. I would like a catfish or two to roam the bottom area of my tank...I'm not really into corys.. Do you guys have any suggestions into what type of catfish i can home in my tank...

2. Fettuccini

Fettuccini Well Known Member Member

Some type of small/medium synodontis species would probably work well.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Porthole catfish? You could do a few!

4. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

5. TexasDomer

You won't see much of it as it's nocturnal.

6. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

I like them. They are one of my favorite catfish. I have one in each of my 55s :) And they have lived with every fish in your list (except the rams, I have never had rams)

They get too big for you to have more than one though (in my opinion)....especially since you already have a couple BN plecos as well. I don't think the raphaels are very social, so it shouldn't be a problem having just one.

Side note: do you know if your BN plecos are male or female? Just be careful because if they are male and female, you are facing a boatload of babies!! non stop!!

EDIT: TexasDomer is right though....you will never see him in a peaceful tank. I see the one in my cichlid tank at feeding time because he knows he has to get out there and get food asap. In the peaceful tank (like yours) that one just waits until the lights go out because he usually has no trouble finding leftovers :) But my cichlids leave no leftovers...so that catfish has no choice....lol

7. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

i'm not so sure yet...they are about two inches long and so far they cant stand the sight of each other.

8. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Then they are still a ways away from breeding.

Once they get large enough, the males have a lot of bristles all over their face. They are very east to sex. So if you start to notice that they might be opposite sex...you might want to rehome one....

9. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

will do...thanks

10. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

Look into the smaller varieties of synodontis catfish. Very cool looking. You could get a few.

11. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

i'll check these out....i do have a lot of driftwood in my tank...don't they require a higher ph?

12. Fettuccini

As far the plecos being male or female, if they both turn out to be males, you won't have to worry about breeding, but you'll probably end up with 1 pleco rather than 2 sooner or later. Basically, the only good combination is 2 females.

Some do, but most will be fine within the pH range of most water supplies.

13. CROWNTAILBETTA

CROWNTAILBETTA Well Known Member Member

14. TexasDomer

Synos do need hard water - they're from the rift lakes like the rift lake African cichlids.

15. Fettuccini

Only some species come from the rift lakes. Many (most?) of them are from west/central Africa where the pH is generally much less alkaline. A lot of the most commonly sold ones like S. eupterus and S. nigriventris have a very wide pH range, to the point where it's really only a factor if your pH is extremely high or low.

16. TexasDomer

17. fisharegreat8962

fisharegreat8962 Valued Member Member

Oh. My. God. I love these guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

19. TexasDomer

20. Fettuccini

I'm not sure they're temperature compatible with the angelfish. I believe pictus cats like mid 70s and angels like it closer to 80. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.