Looking For Help With Diy Bucket Filter

MichaelF150
I working on a DIY project. Built a DIY 5 gal bucket filter, for 50 gal tank. (king of diy design)
External Jebao dcp 3000 pump. 3/4” pvc siphon, 3/4” pvc return. Both connected to 1/2” ID tubing.
Pump at 50% flow rate. Problem... seems input can’t keep up with return. After a while pump sucking air. Siphon does have consistent flow. Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Advertisement
JayH
Is the flow through the filter top-down or bottom-up? What media is it filled with?

3/4" ID pipe should be more than enough to gravity feed enough water for the pump. I'd guess the issue is the 1/2" ID tubing. Or maybe your water level is too low?

Advertisement
MichaelF150
Thanks for reply. It is top down filter. Corse and medium filter material, carbon bags & bio-balls. Top of bucket about 6” above bottom of tank, but well below water surface.

JayH
So your pump is in the bottom of the bucket?

MichaelF150
No, pump is external, but drawing from bottom to return to the tank.

JayH
So this is set up like a typical canister filter, you just provided your own pump and canister? If the siphon is working okay, then the bucket is probably not sealed properly. You shouldn't be getting any air if the bucket is completely sealed.

Advertisement

MichaelF150
Ok, I was wondering about that. Right now using a gamma seal. I have another bucket and screw on lid coming, so will try that. I think l will raise tank to get it completely above the filter bucket.
Thank you for your responses, I appreciate the input.
Kind regards.

JayH
The gamma seal should provide an air tight seal. I'd get some silicone gasket grease and coat the gasket with that.

Then do what you can to get all the air out of the container. Without seeing exactly how it's put together it's hard to make a recommendation on that. If the water is coming in at the top and exiting at the bottom you might need to turn it upside down long enough to force the air out.

As long as the intake on the canister is lower than the open end of the intake pipe in the tank you should be okay as far as siphon. It shouldn't need to be completely under the tank. Actually, once you get the air out it shouldn't matter where it is other than for pump lift, and higher is better for that.

MichaelF150
Thanks again. Appreciate the suggestions. Will definitely work on the air issue! Glad to hear I possibly don’t need major re-do!

Islandvic
Post pics if you can.

This is interesting

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jsigmo
Replies
Views
Redrum
Replies
Views