Looking For Help Stocking My 55 Gal

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Jamesjohnson28, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Jamesjohnson28

Jamesjohnson28New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    I am going to start up a new 55 gal tank soon and would like help choosing fish. I know i will have platy's a few balloon molly's and maybe a dwarf blue gourami. I want a nice community tank that is both peaceful and beautiful. I want the bottom middle and top to have fish. My other tanks are a 20 Long with red cherry shrimp, A 55 with neons, cory cats, and a angel, A 75 with oscars And i have a koi pond outside.

2. midnightwhale

midnightwhaleNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +15
    That sounds good! For the bottom layer, you could do loaches (kuhli, yo-yo, zebra...) as long as they have the right temp and don’t get to big. There are also things like catfish (Plecos, banjo catfish, whip tail catfish, Cories which you already have).

For upper middle dwellers, you could do a school of barbs (cherry or maybe gold?), tetras, or rasboras. Hatchetfish are also pretty cool for a primarily top dweller as are African butterfly fish but I’m not sure how much of a community fish they are.

If it were my tank, I would do:
    6 Yoyo loach
    8 gold barb
    5 platies
    2 balloon mollies
    1 gourami

But I’m sure there are many better ways of stocking. Good luck and post pictures!

3. OP
    OP
    Jamesjohnson28

Jamesjohnson28New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you for taking the time to reply and help me with ideas..