Looking For Good Tank Mates 40 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Idnar, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Idnar

Idnar New Member Member

I have recently acquired a 40 gallon tank to better accommodate the featherfin squeaker that I purchased after being told it was a cory cat. I am looking for suitable tank mates for my featherfin.
    upload_2018-4-16_1-39-8.png upload_2018-4-16_1-45-23.png

Some of the fish that I have been looking at include Bolivian rams, angelfish, and dwarf cichlids. This would be a planted tank with black diamond blasting sand as a substrate. I know that these fish have similar requirements but I was wondering if anyone has experience keeping them together. Could I keep 1 featherfin, a pair of angelfish and bolivian rams in the same tank? If keeping bolivian rams, how many would/ could I put in? Would 1 featherfin, a pair of angelfish and a pair of Kribs work better? Does anyone have other suggestions for stocking with a featherfin?

2. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

I would say when it came to the dwarf cichlids, pick one. Either that you pick is best kept in pairs, a male and female. Something to keep in mind though is that that tend to get a bit aggressive when they spawn, so they may pick on anyone that comes near their little cave.
    I have a single angelfish and I'm already having issues of fin nipping. So that's something to watch out for.
    But that's all a matter of the personalities. I think it'd be a beautiful tank and I don't see the tank size being a concern in this scenario.

3. ParrotCichlid

ParrotCichlid Well Known Member Member

I would do a pair of angelfish, a kribensis cichlid and a shoal of 6 or so Rainbow fish.

4. OP
    OP
    Idnar

Idnar New Member Member

Do Kribensis do alright by themselves or do they need a pair? Also, what type of rainbow fish would you recommend?

5. ParrotCichlid

ParrotCichlid Well Known Member Member

I would suggest Praecox Rainbow fish as they stay relatively small while still offering great coloration. Some Australian Rainbows could work too but they do get a little larger.

Kribensis cichlid should be fine alone would not recommend a pair. When they pair up they can turn a community tank into a bloodbath. Could possibly do two female Kribensis cichlids though? Think females get along okay?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice