Looking for freshwater shrimp

coolio3991

Hello I'm wondering where I can get shrimp.
I'm honestly looking for blue dream, cherry, green jade, yellow, orange, and amano and kinda want some ghost shrimp as well. Blue dream are very important.

I had 1 I got a few months back and he quickly became my favorite he was in a 20 long with my betta along with 9 other shrimp. He was 1 of 5 shrimp to survive the betta (which the betta is now in his own tank) the way he did it was what made him my favorite he wouldnt just run and hide he would actually swim right at the betta land on him and jump away. He also could vanish no joke he would be there one second then gone. But he was always there and happy.

Then I got dwarf crayfish which he did the same things too then I moved the craws to the tank with betta. And balue was safe and happy always eating and swimming around. But last week I found him dead because I did to big of a water change. Trying to get the ammonia down. But my tank is just about cycled and i havnt lost any shrimp since then and i really need to get more shrimp the algae is growing good but i dont have enough shrimp to eat it all. And I've got things to help the shrimp be healthier and at any moment the tank will be cycled.

I've got a heavily planted tank so I've never had any nitrites show up. And my tank hasn't gotten over 1ppm ammonia in 2 weeks and I have 5ppm nitrates and never goes higher because of the plants.
I've learned a lot about keeping shrimp amd fish together and alive. And wont be making the same mistakes that have lost so many shrimp. They wouldnt just be pets to me they are friends and well cared for

richiep

First off you are learning from your mistakes, just make sure your tank is cycled and mature, blue dream are at the top of that colour range which to me make them just that bit more fragile then reds so make sure you've got it right
If you live in New York for instance you can go to the buy and sell page on fishlore and ask if anyone in the New York area selling them, you're only giving an area out so no worrier there, if not!
Look for a local breeder or lfs and if you find one just put ½doz in to make sure things are right
If you can't find a local breeder or lfs then it's eBay or a lfs that will send them to you,

Upvote 0

coolio3991

First off you are learning from your mistakes, just make sure your tank is cycled and mature, blue dream are at the top of that colour range which to me make them just that bit more fragile then reds so make sure you've got it right
If you live in New York for instance you can go to the buy and sell page on fishlore and ask if anyone in the New York area selling them, you're only giving an area out so no worrier there, if not!
Look for a local breeder or lfs and if you find one just put ½doz in to make sure things are right
If you can't find a local breeder or lfs then it's eBay or a lfs that will send them to you,
Thank you and yeah I have learned from mistakes. My local lfs is were I got all my shrimp came from there but not once did they say the tank needs to be cycled. They new the tank was new. But now my fish and shrimp are doing a lot better. I haven't lost any shrimp in over a week. And they are now molting a lot better. I just found a perfect molt today.
So how long do I have to wait till I can add more shrimp. I have about 7 shrimp. They seam to be doing a lot better this week than last week. And tank is getting a lot closer to being cycled i think. I still have ammonia levels of 1ppm but I'm not getting nitrite, the plants seam to be eating it up very fast. And I'm getting 5ppm nitrates a day.

Upvote 0

richiep

I wouldn't add any until you are certain the tank is fully cycled,

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

. . . I still have ammonia levels of 1ppm but I'm not getting nitrite, the plants seam to be eating it up very fast. And I'm getting 5ppm nitrates a day.

I assume you're doing water changes to get that ammonia down?

Upvote 0

coolio3991

I assume you're doing water changes to get that ammonia down?
Yeah I do daily water changes. But to be honest I didnt do one yesterday and some how the ammonia levels didnt go up at all. Still showed at 1ppm this morning. and all my cabomba is like 2 inches taller than it was yesterday. So they probably helped with that.
I wouldn't add any until you are certain the tank is fully cycled,
Okay some people are making it sound like I have to wait months, but my tank is very close to cycling. I didnt have a chance to do a water change yesterday and the ammonia levels didnt go up.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Yeah I do daily water changes. But to be honest I didnt do one yesterday and some how the ammonia levels didnt go up at all. Still showed at 1ppm this morning. and all my cabomba is like 2 inches taller than it was yesterday. So they probably helped with that.

Okay some people are making it sound like I have to wait months, but my tank is very close to cycling. I didnt have a chance to do a water change yesterday and the ammonia levels didnt go up.

I'd suggest doing another water change soon; at least 50%. It's best to not let the combined ammonia and nitrites get much above 0.5 ppm, and definitely not above 1.0 ppm.

Upvote 0

coolio3991

I'd suggest doing another water change soon; at least 50%. It's best to not let the combined ammonia and nitrites get much above 0.5 ppm, and definitely not above 1.0 ppm.
Yeah I do 1 50% water change every day. My nitrites stay at 0ppm. My ammonia hasn't been over 1ppm in 2 weeks. Fridays sundays and Tuesdays I do 2 50% water changes several hours apart the rest of the days I only do 1 50% water change a day. I just did one today around 8am and around 11:30 I will do another one. I also cleaned any detritus I could find I left any molts I found I leave them for the shrimp to eat if they want it. I've never had to remove a molt. They always eat it within a few days. And I always remove any dead plant material I find that a shrimp isnt actively eating. I'm trying something new with my camomba I'm just going to leave it alone and let it grow. And plants I've trimmed I letting grow out the trimming the new growth and throwing out the old so it looks better but that's it.

Attachments

• 16246386114592176665405575524049.jpg
    16246386114592176665405575524049.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 16246386333141485824348391386421.jpg
    16246386333141485824348391386421.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0

Mcasella

Do you possibly have ammonia in your source water? (Water you use to fill the tank.)
Your tank isn't cycled until the ammonia reading is zero and the ammonia->nitrite->nitrate conversion is completed in 24 hours or less. (Dosing so many ppm of ammonia into the tank, gone to nitrates in 24 hours or less means it is cycled to that ppm dose of ammonia.)

Upvote 0

coolio3991

Do you possibly have ammonia in your source water? (Water you use to fill the tank.)
Your tank isn't cycled until the ammonia reading is zero and the ammonia->nitrite->nitrate conversion is completed in 24 hours or less. (Dosing so many ppm of ammonia into the tank, gone to nitrates in 24 hours or less means it is cycled to that ppm dose of ammonia.)
No I dont. I know my tank isnt cycled yet but it's close. In 24 hours my tank gains 1ppm ammonia, but I do see it changes to nitrates I get a 5ppm reading every 24 hours. I do a water change get my ammonia down to .25ppm ammonia everything else is at 0 next day I'm reading 1ppm ammonia and 5ppm nitrates. 0 nitrites. That is converted right away I never get nitrites could be my plants are sucking it up but.

Upvote 0

Mcasella

If you are reading that high of ammonia in 24hrs the tank is definitely not cycled. The water changes are keeping the fish from hitting old tank syndrome or having ammonia poisoning. Something isn't right if it is shooting that high in a 24 hour period.

Upvote 0

coolio3991

If you are reading that high of ammonia in 24hrs the tank is definitely not cycled. The water changes are keeping the fish from hitting old tank syndrome or having ammonia poisoning. Something isn't right if it is shooting that high in a 24 hour period.
I have a good number of fish in the tank. And I probably over feed. I havnt been fish keeping long. And I didnt know about having to cycle a tank and all that. It's a 20long with 2 black molle 5 zebra danio 4 ember tetras and 6 neon tetras. And 5-8 shrimp so I know it's a bit much. But my tank will cycle it is just going to take longer than I want it to.

Upvote 0

richiep

Although they say one double sponge is ok for a 20g it still depends how efficient it's running, id be tempted to add another double sponge and a strong air pump
I'm thinking things are taking so long because one double is just not man enough,

Upvote 0

coolio3991

Although they say one double sponge is ok for a 20g it still depends how efficient it's running, id be tempted to add another double sponge and a strong air pump
I'm thinking things are taking so long because one double is just not man enough,
I have a double sponge Filter and I also have one of those corner sponge filter too. And a surface skimmer but I just changed out the filter for it today because it was dark brown and really needed changed I was cleaning it out weekly. And on the 2 sponge filters I'm using the tetra whisper 40s 1 for each filter. My air stone I'm using a 10.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Craig_84
Replies
Views
Dis13SM
Replies
Views
coolio3991