Looking For Fish

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cherry Barbs, active but not aggressive. Should be safe even when the Gouramis get big enough to start killing guppies. Checker Barbs are also interesting.

There are a lot of tetras that don't have the environmental requirements that Cardinals have. Black Neons are fairly popular, Lemons are pretty adaptable, and both of those would be safe with the guppies. Once the Gouramis kill the guppies, you could try Colombian Red and Blue Tetras, very tough but just a little bit nippy.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am not aware of any people trying to keep them together. Trichopodus trichogaster is the most aggressive species of the genus. My experience is that a male has about an 80% chance of being aggressive with everything, a female slightly less so, but I've seen some pretty aggressive females, too. At full growth they can be 5 inches in length. They may not eat an adult guppy, but they can definitely harass them to death.

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If I remember correctly, there are people on Fishlore that have kept Opa gouramis with Guppies with no problems.

perrydaplatypus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hunter1 said:
What temperature are you keeping the tank at?

What do you want?

A tightly schooling fish? (Rummy nose tetras or harlequin boraspas)

Bigger pretty fish? (Angels)

Just a ton of activity? (Livebearers like your fancy guppies mixed with maybe a trio of swordtails and some red wag platys)

I would add a gold bristled nose pleco when the tank is a few months old.
I'm looking for ideas I'm not sure what I want but I know that angels can be slightly aggressive so I don't think they will work with my gouramis

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom