Looking For Fish With Specific Qualities..

1. ChristaCat

ChristaCat Valued Member Member

Ok I'm upgrading my fish from a 6.5 to a 10 in about a week!

So its:

Male crowntail betta
    4 albino cory cats
    2 mystery snails

And I wanted to add a loach and 1-2 gouramis. Do you think it'd work? I know the gouramis can be agressive, I'm prepared to move them if they even nip at my betta.

2. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Oh, no, please don't put a Betta with a gourami. In a 10-gallon, you can have one Betta or one small gourami (but 20 gallons would be better for the latter). I've known people who have had their Bettas live with cory cats for months only to randomly go postal and kill them all, so I wouldn't advise it. At any rate, albino cory cats do grow quite a bit, and I wouldn't put them in less than 20 gallons and in a shoal of at least 6. You could go with smaller cory cats such as pandas and pygmies, but 10 gallons is tight.

I would actually keep the Betta in the 6.5 and park his tank next to the 10 gallon. Then I'd rehome the albino cories and put 10-15 male Endlers in the 10, where they would provide lots of antics and entertainment for the Betta.

3. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

About the Betta, yeah I know that's a possibility but I've always had a very chill betta. He eats side by side with the cories sometimes and he'll follow them but other times he totally ignores them. If I were to see any signs of aggression, Id rehome the cories immediately.

I do know its kind of a tight fit at the moment but I'm slowly upgrading and by the time they get bigger, they'll have a bigger home. Right now they're all about an inch or a bit less, none are over an inch.

So assuming Id like to keep the tank as it is, just upgrading the size, is there any colorful fish I could add that do not require schools or require very small ones? What do you think would be a good idea?
    Also what do you think about a loach or two?

4. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

I don't know any small loaches other than Kuhlis, but even they need at least a 20 gallon and in groups of 4 or more. But they are bottom feeders just like corycats. And would probably squabble over food. When you move to a 20, I'd recommend getting 2 more corycats, as they feel safer in groups of six or more.
    Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to get a loach until you're at least at a 40 gallon.
    I don't think a gourami would be a good idea either, anything too colorful or long finned, the betta will see as a threat. Or the gourami will see him as a threat. While some people on here have done it successfully, I've read for fatalities than successes.
    I would recommend getting a school of 4 or more neon tetras or rummynose tetras once you move up to at least a 20.

5. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Oh geez...I really really hope my bettas don't suddenly "snap" one day, and go postal on everyone else! : ( One tank has a small baby Honey Gourami and a baby betta after all... >_< Hopefully they'll grow up together kindly since they are both babies after all... heh

6. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

Ok, since Id really like to have some and I want my other fish to be as happy as possible, Id love to move up to a 20gal.

Can you guys link me some of your recommendations? I cant really spend more than about $50 on one but the cheapest ones you can send me would be great, as long as its recommended. I don't have a filter powerful enough for a 20 so I'd like it to come with one and a lid unless you guy could point me in that direction as well. I've only ever bought starter kits that came with everything already.

7. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Best bet would be to go on Craigslist and get second hand. Sometimes you can get the whole kit at a better quality (like a large hob instead of a small cheapo hob in store) and lower price...0

8. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Endlers, as I said before, are perfect for 10 gallons. You could start with 1 breeding pair and eventually get enough fish to fill any size tank you move up to. Or you could do a handful of males (and a very well-fitted lid with plastic mesh over any openings).

Letgo, Freecycle (a Yahoo group), and Facebook Marketplace are also good sources for tanks and equipment.

9. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

Im planning on getting a 20 gallon to have more space for my cories and to get loaches.

I have sinking wafers, dried worms, daphnia, and mystis for them. Im going to get sinking shrimp pellets and other foods too, to make sure all my bottom feeders are getting food they like and enough of it.

How many loaches can I add to my tank after its upgraded?

Remember so far I have 1 betta, 4 albino cories, and 2 snails.

10. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

What kind of loaches were you thinking?

11. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

A few kuhlis.

12. Mazeus

Ok, so this is for a 20g? If yes, are you asking about having kuhli's and cories? If that's the case, I'd go with one or the other. Both kuhlis and cories need to be in groups of at least 6. IMO in a 20g having both would make your stocking too bottom heavy.

13. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

Yes it is for a 20gal
    Is it being too bottom heavy bad for the health of the tank or just aesthetics?

The only fish I'm planning on being in there are the cories, loaches, my 1 betta, and 2 snails. So is that too many bottom feeders for a 20gal? Even if I make sure they all get enough food that they like?

So I'm upgrading from a 6.5gal to a 20gal!

In it will be:
    1 male betta, 4 cory cats, and 2 mystery snails

Just to preface, my betta, Percy, is not aggressive. He's a big scaredy cat who has never nipped at another fish. Im just flub to go ahead and ask you do not tell me not to put anything in with my betta because when I ask a question on here, there's always at least one person saying he's going to kill everything. He's not.

Ok now..
    I have 2 questions.

1) Can I add kuhli loaches and how many should I add? Yes they will get enough food, I know its a lot of bottom feeders but I like bottom feeders.

2) I want to get another fish that isn't a bottom feeder, probably wont nip at my betta, doesn't school or requires only a small school, and is preferably a bit colorful. Obviously not too flashy, Percy doesn't need any competition. I know this is very specific but is there any fish like this I could add?

14. C

Cardeater Valued Member Member

There are some videos from Aquarium Coop that can help you. I'm watching this right now. Kuhli Loaches were first one he mentioned. There's also two one hour livestreams on the topic that you can watch.

This is a short 4 min video to get you started:

Edit:
    This video is entitled "what can live with my Betta". I haven't listened to it as I'm not planning on keeping them. I have watched a lot of his videos. He is pretty knowledgeable. I started this Betta video on my TV. Looks like you can skip first two mins as he's promoting new merchandise there but I'm sure he'll get into the topic soon.

15. Mazeus

It's about the health and wellbeing of the fish. C. aeneus are a sizeable cories when full grown there wouldn't be much space at the bottom for kuhli's to feel safe with a school of cories.

Can I just check this is a 20g long right? A 20G high isn't really a big enough footprint for the c.aeneus.

16. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

No unfortunatly my only surface stable enough for an aquarium is about 29in long so its just a regular 20gal.

17. Mazeus

Have you already purchased it? I ask because you can make a very sturdy aquarium stand easily out of cinder blocks and 2x4 wood. Could allow you to get a bigger tank?

If you are going to stick with the 20g high, then I would advise against the kuhlis and cories. The cories you have will get to 3inches each, so a group of 6 will be a tight fit in your tank on their own.

18. B

BlackOsprey Valued Member Member

You definitely can add kuhlis. They have a pretty low bioload so you could have 5 or more. If you like bottom feeders, you're gonna love these guys. They're adorable noodles even if they're a bit shy.

19. OP
    OP
    ChristaCat

Unfortunatly there is no space at all for anymore furniture or anything in my room..

So I dont want to rehome my cories, I'm very attatched to them. Do you think the 4 will be fine in there as it is?

Also, I've seen some people keep only 1 loach, I couldnt do that? Im really stuck on them as I love them honestly.

Ive included pics of my dresser and its measurments which is my only surface big and sturdy enough. Is there not anything else I could do? If its 30in long I suplose it could fit but I don't want it hanging off.. 1526801907000.jpg 1526801939511.jpg 1526802048665.jpg

Thank you, I will watch these for sure!

Thank you! I am very excited about them, I love the look of them. What do you think is the minimun number I could have for them to be happy? And what do you think is the max for them in my tank?

Again thanks for your quick reply!

20. Duardo

Duardo Valued Member Member

I was in the same situation! I went from a 10 gal to a 20 gal. I had 1 betta, 6 neon tetras, and 2 mystery snails as well as 1 cory. Once I upgraded I planted and got 4 albino corys total, 6 neon tetras 2 mystery snails and 2 kuhli loaches. I was wondering about their bio load as i got them off impulse, they are cute but I read that its 5 or 6 minimum.

Great fish to keep in smallish schools are tetras I have neons and red minors or serpae tetras but those are semi aggresive and nip at everything. I suggest rasboras or maybe even pygmy corys as they are mid tank schooling fish and look cute and are tiny.