looking for fish to go well with corydoras'

1. walczowski

walczowski New Member Member

Hello everybody! I'm new to this and forums in general, so be patient haha. Anyways, I'm planning on getting a 55 gallon or bigger tank. And I'm sure this has been asked quite a bit. I'm pretty set on getting corydoras catfish, but I want some good tank mate ideas and plant ideas. I like catfish, loaches, plecos and the such but want a more mid to top level swimmers. Also will mystery snails be fine with them? I've had my goldfish for 4 years so I'm not a beginner, but also not experienced. And I just started with planted aquariums and have had good success. Thanks in advance.

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Corys are very peaceful & get along with most fish, I wouldn't keep them with any aggressive or territorial fish as corys have no concept of territory & can get themselves into trouble, snails are quite safe with them, bristlenose plecs would be fine with them
    Rummynose tetras are one of the best mid level shoaling fish as they stick together more than most, or you could have one of the larger tetras such as bleeding heart, there are lots of options.
    Hatchet fish are an interesting top dweller as long as you have a tight fitting lid as they are great jumpers.

3. OP
    OP
    walczowski

Thanks. How many corys and tetras would you suggest getting in a tank of at least 55gal? That would more than likely include a bristlenose and a snail or two. Any plant suggestions on plants that would go well? I like wisteria and red ludwigia.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. OP
    OP
    walczowski

Sorry I'm half asleep. Any plant suggestions*

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You could have around a dozen corys depending what species you go for as some are larger than others.
    If you went for Rummynose or similar size tetra then around 24 would be a good starting number, if you went for larger tetra then obviously you'd have less, 6 hatchets & 2 bristlenose.
    That's just a rough idea you might want to have something different & a centrepiece fish such as gourami, have a look in your Lfs & write down the fish you like the look of then post it & we can help advise what's suitable.
    I only do easy care plants such as anubias, swords etc, post on the planted section for good planting advice

6. OP
    OP
    walczowski

Alright, thanks again. I probably won't get this started for a little bit now, but I want to learn about the fish first. I'll definitely go to the store and look around. My girlfriend works at petsmart, so she won't be bothered by me standing around looking at fish for awhile