Looking For Filter Recommendations

Luxwing
So I've recently started my aquarium and it's been about a month and a half and I realize I probably need a filter upgrade. I'm using a tetra 5-15 whisper filter that came with the 10 gallon aquarium starter kit and I'm having issues with the water spilling out of the top and making a mess instead of going through the filter pads. I've swished the pad and sponge several times but the issue continues. Woke up the other day to water all over the floor! I've had to lower the filter below the water level and I know that prevents it from working well.

So any good suggestions for a 10 gallon freshwater tank? I only have a male betta and some ghost shrimp and don't plan on getting else besides more shrimp. Something I can put a tetra filter into so I can transfer the bacteria would be great so I don't have to redo the cycle.

Much obliged

TheShapeofGuillermo
I’ve heard from various betta keepers that sponge filters are the way to go in terms of filtration. They’re quiet, easy to maintain, and do not disturb bettas with a strong flow of water. I am thinking of upgrading to one in the summer when my betta gets his new tank!

Fashooga
I have to agree a sponge filter might be best for you. The only problem with sponge filters is that while it provides great biological filtration it's a terrible from a mechanical standpoint if you want crystal clear water.

If you don't like it taking space in your tank you might want to find something like a aquaclear that does 10 gallon tanks. They'll provide mechanical and biological filtration.

Klink
I've heard good things about Azoo Mignon filters for betta tanks if you don't want a sponge filter in the tank. You can find them on Amazon and they look like smaller Aquaclear filters.

I just ordered the 60 model to try out myself for a 5 gallon betta tank. They're also really inexpensive at about $10-13 depending on model.

bitseriously
I love the simplicity of sponge filters, but I really dislike the humming/vibration from the air pump. I have mine on a soft pad, direct on the floor, and it still bothers me. And the bubbling is also irritating. IMO.
I'm looking at your original post, and wondering why water is bypassing your filter pads. If that issue were resolved (along with the water on the floor, which is not minor), would you still be looking for something different?

Luxwing
I’ve heard from various betta keepers that sponge filters are the way to go in terms of filtration. They’re quiet, easy to maintain, and do not disturb bettas with a strong flow of water. I am thinking of upgrading to one in the summer when my betta gets his new tank!

I haven't researched a lot on sponge filters honestly. If I choose to use one would I need to run it alongside my established filter to move the bacteria over or will it get it from my gravel and the water that's already there

I love the simplicity of sponge filters, but I really dislike the humming/vibration from the air pump. I have mine on a soft pad, direct on the floor, and it still bothers me. And the bubbling is also irritating. IMO.
I'm looking at your original post, and wondering why water is bypassing your filter pads. If that issue were resolved (along with the water on the floor, which is not minor), would you still be looking for something different?

I don't know why it's not going through the filter pad it's almost like the pad and sponge are blocking the water even after I've cleaned them. There's an opening on the top of the filter and the water is just pouring out if the top of it. After some research I've seen a lot of people having the same issues with tetra filters.

Only thing I can figure is that I would need to get a filter with either a better current or a closed top. The pressure of the water coming out doesn't seem to bother anyone in fact I've cough the shrimp. Hanging on the lip of the filter and picking at the water that comes out haha

Luxwing
Follow up question if I choose a sponge filter can I connect it to the air pump I'm already using for my bubble stone if I buy a t-way connector? It's just a 1200cc pump

glenCOCO
Should be fine, but just give it a try and if you feel it needs more air than just pick up a new pump. Sponge filters are great, but I still feel that you should go for he aquaclear and just baffle the current. That way you still have good mechanical filtration.

Like this:

Attachments

• 84B3DA11-D70E-4333-B232-F2327CE37D0D.jpeg
    84B3DA11-D70E-4333-B232-F2327CE37D0D.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 2F9406FE-F82E-46D0-90B0-1B0D32CB692D.jpeg
    2F9406FE-F82E-46D0-90B0-1B0D32CB692D.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 52
bitseriously
I’m fully supportive of increasing filtration, but I can’t get past the possibility something’s not right w your current filter. U have a PF-10, right (that’s the stock filter that comes with a 10gal starter kit from Tetra)? No way that should be clogged and not able to be cleared 6 weeks after startup. Is there something in the bottom of the housing that is preventing the cartridge from seating properly? And how is water ending up on the floor? Any water that bypasses the cartridge should end up in the tank, not outside it. Got any pics?
Or ignore me and keep moving on w life.

Luxwing
I’m fully supportive of increasing filtration, but I can’t get past the possibility something’s not right w your current filter. U have a PF-10, right (that’s the stock filter that comes with a 10gal starter kit from Tetra)? No way that should be clogged and not able to be cleared 6 weeks after startup. Is there something in the bottom of the housing that is preventing the cartridge from seating properly? And how is water ending up on the floor? Any water that bypasses the cartridge should end up in the tank, not outside it. Got any pics?
Or ignore me and keep moving on w life.

I've taken apart and cleaned the entire filter at least twice this month and there's nothing in it that should be stopping the water from running through the filter. It's almost like there's not enough water pressure to push it through? And it's ending up on the floor from the water splashing onto the hook on the back and then it goes from there. I find if I lift the filter cartridge up ever so slightly then the water doesn't rise above the filter rim.

I looked up the aquaclear filters and they look really promising and the reviews are all good. Next paycheck I think I might invest in one. The sponge filters are nice but I don't know if I might other occupants in the future that may require more filter power. I appreciate everyone's input!

Also here's a Pic of my filter and the water nearing the brI'm :0

IMAG0566.jpg
IMAG0567.jpg

glenCOCO
Looks like that cartridge is sitting a little too far forward. Isn’t there supposed to be another insert in front of the pad? Maybe that’s why it isn’t working right. Either way, definitely upgrade. You’ll be glad you did.

Luxwing
Looks like that cartridge is sitting a little too far forward. Isn’t there supposed to be another insert in front of the pad? Maybe that’s why it isn’t working right. Either way, definitely upgrade. You’ll be glad you did.

There is a sponge filter in front of the pad facing towards the front of the tank its just under the hood in the photos so you can't see it. The cart won't fit in any farther back either so idk? Maybe it's just a cheap filter

Luxwing
Okay I'm a big idiot that had my sponge on the wrong side of my filter media for the past month and a half I'm so dumb oh my God the sponge is supposed to go behind it I've had it on the front this whole time I'm Such a Knucklehead it actually doesn't overflow now ppfpfpfffpfftttt

I'm still gonna invest in a new filter tho just to upgrade in the future. Thank you everyone for your help

glenCOCO
I actually LOL’d. Sometimes the answer is just sitting there, staring you right in the face.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
bitseriously
Replies
Views
WTFish?
Replies