Important Looking For Confirmation I'm Dealing With Camallanus Worms

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I started stocking my third tank on Wednesday (15 cherry barbs and 1 pearl gourami) and immediately suspected internal parasites in some of the barbs. Started Prazipro, which is part of my standard QT regimen.

One female in particular was acting odd - isolating and hovering near the surface.

Today I confirmed what looks like red worms protruding from her anal vent - see pics. She also looks to have a few ich spots.

I should treat the tank with a Levamisole med, correct? Any specific product recommendations?

This is my worst new fish nightmare.

The tank itself is fine and stable. 0-0-5, pH 7.5, fishless cycled before stocking.

Thanks.

IMG_20190707_1446329.jpg
IMG_20190707_1446329.jpg

Attachments

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Camallanus will appear dark red and will commonly retreat when the fish is moving then pop out when the fish is still. Levamisole treats camalanus as well as many other intestinal worms and nematodes. It’s on Amazon and you can also buy from subquaria

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Camallanus will appear dark red and will commonly retreat when the fish is moving then pop out when the fish is still. Levamisole treats camalanus as well as many other intestinal worms and nematodes. It’s on Amazon and you can also buy from subquaria
Based on the pictures do you agree that it appears to be camallanus?

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, i'd order Levamisole asap. It's callamanus

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you both.

I've ordered levamisole but it won't arrive until Thursday.

I euthanized the worst female (from the pics) as she'd gone steadily downhill since I got them; she was the sickest from Day 1. Her abdomen was full of darker red worms. The rest aren't as obviously suffering but there's some flashing, some sunken bellies.

Any suggestions on how to deal with ich with the camallanus worms? I've never had to treat either before. I ordered some Ich-X too and thought perhaps I could dose it in between the rounds of levamisole... I don't like the idea of back-to-back treatments but also don't want to neglect addressing one issue while I focus on the other.

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think I read somewhere you can use epsom salts in their food to help pass the worms but i'm not sure on the ich treatment. I would assume it wouldn't interact with eachother.

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you both.

I've ordered levamisole but it won't arrive until Thursday.

I euthanized the worst female (from the pics) as she'd gone steadily downhill since I got them; she was the sickest from Day 1. Her abdomen was full of darker red worms. The rest aren't as obviously suffering but there's some flashing, some sunken bellies.

Any suggestions on how to deal with ich with the camallanus worms? I've never had to treat either before. I ordered some Ich-X too and thought perhaps I could dose it in between the rounds of levamisole... I don't like the idea of back-to-back treatments but also don't want to neglect addressing one issue while I focus on the other.
Keep in mind that levamisole is also an immunity booster and ich meds (idk about ich X in particular but I know most do) have a slim coat booster to decrease the risk of re-infection. Ich can get worse overnight and the longer you wait with camalanus the more internal damage is done, and that is irreversible

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think I read somewhere you can use epsom salts in their food to help pass the worms but i'm not sure on the ich treatment. I would assume it wouldn't interact with eachother.
Once medicated they must pass the worms out of their system or the worms will rot inside of them causing a secondary internal bacterial infection. If the fish is eating it should come out when they deficate but epsom salt helps with that process

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The Ich-X should arrive Tuesday and the levamisole on Thursday.

I'm prioritizing treatment of the camallanus worms so I'll dose that Thursday, leave it 48 hours, do some big water changes and clean the substrate, then start Ich-X. The Ich-X takes maybe 4-7 days, then I can change water and dose the levamisole again.

Does that sound appropriate?

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The Ich-X should arrive Tuesday and the levamisole on Thursday.

I'm prioritizing treatment of the camallanus worms so I'll dose that Thursday, leave it 48 hours, do some big water changes and clean the substrate, then start Ich-X. The Ich-X takes maybe 4-7 days, then I can change water and dose the levamisole again.

Does that sound appropriate?
I think start the ich when you get the medicine. The longer you wait, the worse the ich gets and ich is fatal. By Thursday most of the ich on the fish will have gone, and the fish will have adjusted to the medication. Also both ichX and camalanus worms require a substrate cleaning so you can do that more effectively by doing a larger change in one swing. I know it sounds like overload, but if you wait on the ich it will get worse. It can sometimes double in just 24 hours

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think start the ich when you get the medicine. The longer you wait, the worse the ich gets and ich is fatal. By Thursday most of the ich on the fish will have gone, and the fish will have adjusted to the medication. Also both ichX and camalanus worms require a substrate cleaning so you can do that more effectively by doing a larger change in one swing. I know it sounds like overload, but if you wait on the ich it will get worse. It can sometimes double in just 24 hours
Yikes. Thank you.

I've never had fish with ich before and wasn't aware it could progress so quickly. The most visible spots were on the sick female I already euthanized. The others look okay but if she had it I expect they probably do too, just not as bad yet.

Top Bottom