Looking for compatible tank mates

JDoty76

I have a 55 gallon planted tank that I am setting up as a Southeast Asian biotope. I have schools of 6 green tiger barbs and 9 cherry barbs, a BN pleco and am planning either a RT or Rainbow shark. I was planning on 2 pearl guoramis but have been advised the barbs may torment them so I am looking for other ideas to replace them. I am looking for either another small school or a larger centerpiece-type fish. I have also looked at loaches but it looks like most of them either get too big or need schools larger than the space I have left. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

Sharkdude

Well Known
Excellent suggestion from Jaysee. I'm a fan of eels, what about a Burmese spiney or Yellowtail spiney eel? They stay small compared to others and are really cool to have!

JDoty76

Would the zebra loaches do well with as few as 3 of them? The initial info I have found for them is they like groups of 5+ and that would be pushing the bio limits of the tank.
I also found an Asian Bumblebee Cat but am concerned how either the RT or the Rainbow shark would tolerate it as they are both bottom dwellers. Any experience on this?
I have also seen a Flying Fox that looks interesting. Thoughts?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
No, they should be kept in a larger group. I don't think you are anywhere near pushing the limits, unless your filtration system is bad.

My 55 has 8 tiger barbs, 8 colombian tetras, 7 zebra loaches, 6 giant danios, 2 chanchito cichlids and a clown pleco.

JDoty76

Granted I do need to update the filter system (this was a used setup that I found online and have been upgrading and modifying to my desires) but it is adequate for now. It is an Aquatech 30-60. I think it does 300 gph and is the largest filter I have right now. I will be upgrading at some point, perhaps to a Marine power filter with a bio wheel or maybe even a canister filter.

A quick glance at the fish in your tank looks like you have close to 100" of fish. I know the 1" of fish per gallon of water is just a rule of thumb but how far could I push that? What kind of signs do I need to watch for if the tank is too crowded or over loaded?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
I think adding a canister is a very smart thing to do.

Haha, yeah, there are a good amount of fish in there. I have 2 canisters on the tank. Bioload isn't really a concern as that can be handled with filtration. Space is the real concern, and the fish I have all occupy different areas of the tank, so they are layered and not on top of each other all the time. I don't pay attention to the cumulative inches of fish.

If the fish aren't moving freely around the tank, then it's too crowded. That's my gauge.

Sharkdude

Well Known
The bumblebee cat should work. They are nocturnal so they hide all day which is when the RTS is most active.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • CaptainSupport
  • Barbs
Replies
Views
TheFishmonger
  • danielwestes
  • Barbs
Replies
Views
TexasDomer