Looking for comments and suggestions for my replacement water tank.

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OK so heres the deal. I have a 55 Gal Saltwater tank that I have been putting together for awhile. Adding live rock here, some snails there. I'm very close to getting the basic setup down. I have 80 lbs of live rock, 60 lbs of aragonite, 30 Nassarius snails, skimmer and all that. My question is regarding my replacement water setup. I change 10-15 gals out of the 55 once a week. The replacement water I use is "cycled" in a 20 gal tank. This 20 gal has a power filter, air, some sand, a light and a heater. I'm looking for something, anything, that I can put in this tank. As it is now I have an empty tank. I need stuff that can handle weekly 50+% water changes, and that will aid in cycling the water. There is a pretty healthy bacterial colony in the sand. I put a gal or so of water from the 55 in once a week. Seems to keep the bacteria fed. I only want cleaners. I want this water to be pristine and perfect when I add it to my display.
      Any suggestions on life to put in or equipment to add would be very much appreciated. Also comments on the way I'm doing this would be welcome, as I am new to Saltwater tanks and just thought that this method of water changing was a good idea.

JGoldinger

Reaction score
Why are you doing a 50% water change? You should only be doing 20% if that especially fi you are trying to cylce your tank.

You dont have to "cycle" your water change water either. All you need to do is buy some ro/di water put it in a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and a power head and make sure its mixed and make sure its at a appropriate temperature.

You are trying to get that bacteria growing that you have you just want to stay away from the bad stuff *aptasia*

I hope this helps you out a little...

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This was a failed beginners experiment.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom