29 Gallon Tank Looking for certain plants

• Thread starter Jerriel
  • Start date

Jerriel

Doubt there is any plants that fit this description im looking for but im looking for plants that get really tall (the speed doesnt really matter but looking for faster growers) and will be fine growing in a sand substrate, im trying to make a whole forest looking aquascape on the side of my tank so any plants that could work well this this scape, (probably not many since I have a sand substrate) I would love to know about.

darrylzuk

I have a 29g planted with sand substrate. Is the only requirement that they be tall or do you prefer a certain color, leaf shape, etc?

Cody

Well Known
Jerriel said:
Doubt there is any plants that fit this description im looking for but im looking for plants that get really tall (the speed doesnt really matter but looking for faster growers) and will be fine growing in a sand substrate, im trying to make a whole forest looking aquascape on the side of my tank so any plants that could work well this this scape, (probably not many since I have a sand substrate) I would love to know about.
Pogostemon stellatus Ocopus
Water Wisteria
Val species
Amazon Swords
Aponogeton Species
Bacopa Moneri
many more
All of those should do fine with good lighting an all in one fertilizer. Many people on here have planted tanks with sand and love it.

Jerriel

darrylzuk said:
I have a 29g planted with sand substrate. Is the only requirement that they be tall or do you prefer a certain color, leaf shape, etc?
Doesnt really matter, I just want tall plants to help emulate a forest type vibe.

darrylzuk

Cody said:
Pogostemon stellatus Ocopus
Water Wisteria
Val species
Amazon Swords
Aponogeton Species
Bacopa Moneri
many more
All of those should do fine with good lighting an all in one fertilizer. Many people on here have planted tanks with sand and love it.
You just named 5 of the plants in my tank. I don't have any val, and my wisteria is floating, but the others are growing great.

darrylzuk

Jerriel said:
Doesnt really matter, I just want tall plants to help emulate a forest type vibe.
In addition to what Cody listed, I also have anacharis and purple cabomba that are growing pretty tall. I can post a full list of what I have, and a photo, if you can wait until tomorrow. The list is somewhere on my computer.

darrylzuk

Another thought, recently on reddit I saw someone who used lucky bamboo to create a forest/vertical vibe. The leaves were growing emersed though.

Jerriel

darrylzuk said:
In addition to what Cody listed, I also have anacharis and purple cabomba that are growing pretty tall. I can post a full list of what I have, and a photo, if you can wait until tomorrow. The list is somewhere on my computer.
Ok thanks very much, very excited for my first planted tank.

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
If you want a jungle look water wisteria will definitely work. Rotala is another tall plant that I don't think anyone else mentioned.

darrylzuk

Here's a picture of my current work in progress. Plant list to follow.

Attachments

darrylzuk

Here's what I currently have growing in my tank. Sorry, it's a lot. I need to do a seperate post to see if I'm a moron for having such a vaiety of stuff. Anyway, I bolded the ones the should grow tall. As a sidenote, the last two are bulb plants, I just recently got them, so they're still growing and obscured by the plants and driftwood in front of them.

Bucephalandra Kedagang Red
Bucephalandra Brownie Ghost
Bucephalandra Achilles Black
Cryptocoryne sp. Flamingo
Cryptocoryne Nurii Rosen Maiden
Cryptocoryne wendtii Red
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Bronze
Anubias Pinto Nana
Anubias Coffeefolia
Anubias White Marble Nano
Anubias Barteri var. Nana 'Petite'
Alternanthera Rosanervig