Looking For Best Low Tech Floating Plant For My 29 Gallon With Cardinal Tetras | Page 2

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by DoubleD80, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    I have never had any fish or inverts react negatively to fertilizers, Flourish included.

2. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

DoubleD80Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +31
    Experience:
    1 year
    Mmmm. Guess I’m just lucky haha

Ok thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2019
  3. Sergeant Pepper

Sergeant PepperWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +299
    Experience:
    3 years
    You could also try Dwarf Water Lettuce if it's legal in your area. Once it gets going, the floaters get pretty decent size and I have no issue with them getting moved around by water flow.

4. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Ratings:
    +31
    Experience:
    1 year
    Ok thanks. I have a hood on the tank. Would that be a problem? There’s only a inch or two from the water to the hood.

5. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,368
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My mom has a corral of water lettuce in her 29g with an HOB filter, they stay in the corral. Without the corral, they get knocked around too much by the HOB current and melt.

No problem with the hood

6. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    Dwarf water lettuce gets bigger than most other floating plants. It shouldn't be an issue if you wanted it, but worse case scenario you drop your water level another inch.

7. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Ratings:
    +31
    Experience:
    1 year
    Ok thanks. I’m between that and frogbit! Although I would love the red root floaters! Haha

How do you attatch the straws or airline tubing to the tank? Have you done this and where did you set up your corral?

Thanks. How and where in the tank did she set up the corral?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2019
  8. Lovecich

LovecichValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +105
    Experience:
    1 year
    I think a floating plant would look great in your tank. I have them in all three of mine. I recommend dwarf water lettuce, which I have to thin out every month or so but which does not take over the whole tank. IMG_2171.JPG

Attached Files:

9. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Ratings:
    +31
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks. Yeah I was contemplating between frogbit, red root floaters, and dwarf lettuce like you have. Just wondering how it would handle my HOB filter cause I’d rather not have to put a corral cause of the look. And feeding my cardinals flakes would be hindered because the current usually pulls the flakes to the outflow and pushes it down to them since they won’t come to the top to eat! Since my dwarf gourami thinks he owns the tank haha

Wo
    would frogbit do good with a tank with a full hood? Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2019
  10. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    So long as it's getting adequate lighting then yes. Personally I prefer all my tanks open top.

11. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Ratings:
    +31
    Experience:
    1 year
    Ok cool. Yeah I really like the look of open top but last time I went on vacation there was about 2-3 inches of evaporation when I got back haha.

12. angelcraze

Ratings:
    +2,368
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I don't corral them cuz they are not disturbed in my tanks. But we just fit straws together to make a box or shape, let it float and added water lettuce inside the shape. It was just floating in front of the HOB, covered 1/4 of the tank surface. We did not attach it to the tank, just left it floating. For airline tubing, just make a circle, attach tubing ends and let it float. Just be careful not to shade plants underneath too much.

13. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Ratings:
    +31
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks!

14. angelcraze

Ratings:
    +2,368
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Also floating plants help guard against evaporation. But they can also deplete o2 levels at night if the surface is covered.

15. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Ratings:
    +31
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks for the heads up!

So I just went to my Lfs and picked up some really nice red root floaters for my tank! They have really nice big roots. I did notice though that my dwarf gourami ate some of the roots after I put it in. I’m hoping when I get home he didn’t destroy the nice root structure haha. Any body have any experience with this?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2019
  16. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    Gouramis will tear roots and leaves off of plants in order to build nests from bubbles and vegetable matter. I used to have a dwarf gourami named Piggy who would grab a mouthful of duckweed from one end of the tank, and race over to the other side and spit it into his mass of bubbles and half-rotten plants. I'd have to remove his nests after a while because they would smell like a swamp. He would get upset but calm down after a little while.

Also, many floating plants will shed roots when added to new tanks. This is normal as they acclimate to new conditions and will regrow new roots.

17. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Ratings:
    +31
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks again for your quick response and helpful info! I know you said get frogbit but I couldn’t resist getting to red root floaters when I found out my lfs had them! They look awesome and have huge root structures! Just hope my light is enough and I’m putting the right ferts in. They seemed to have found a spot that doesn’t push them into the HOB filter. Hopefully when I get home all is well. If they don’t survive I’ll take your advise and get the frogbit next time

I’m almost positive I saw him eat the roots he ripped off! Haha you’re ever do that? And mine is a good hog to! Doesn’t give the cardinals much chance if he notices food falling to them!

18. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    He might be snacking on them, they do like a bit of vegetable matter and algae in their diet.

Yup, I had to trick my DG into eating at one end of the tank while I dropped food for tetras and corys on the other end. If I didn't almost every bit ended up in his fat belly! Piggy would stick his head out of the water and follow me expecting to be fed, I could pet the top of his head while I fed him from my fingers.

19. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Ratings:
    +31
    Experience:
    1 year
    Guess I better start putting algae wafers in during the day to to keep him off the roots! They are some really good looking roots I would hate for him to ruin them. He has a cool personality and also comes to greet me when I get the food out! I try to keep him at the top of the tank. I do have to shew him away some times when he starts scaring them away from falling food!

Silly question but with all the coverage on the top from floating plants how do you feed flakes if you use them? My cardinals only eat omega one super color flakes. Couldn’t get them to really take to micro pellets.