Looking For Best Low Tech Floating Plant For My 29 Gallon With Cardinal Tetras

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by DoubleD80, Jun 3, 2019.

1. DoubleD80

DoubleD80Valued MemberMember

Was thinking of putting a floating plant in my tank to calm my cardinal tetras skittishness down. I have a 29 gallon planted with java fern, java moss, Anubis, and apongeton. The apongeton is almost dead because of my Farlowella catfish shredding it haha. I don’t fert or use co2 and don’t want to. Any suggestion?

D4C72F79-F23D-451C-A9EB-45BF725F5151.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2019
  2. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Dwarf water lettuce, Salvina natans, Amazon frogbit, mosquito fern (azolla), water sprite (IMO broad leaf water sprite looks best). All of them easy and low maintenance, just make sure your tank doesn't have a crazy amount of flow.

3. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

I don’t have a crazy amount. But the aqueon power 30 HOB I have does create a current on the left side of the tank and a lil on the right. Ot cause a swirling effect from front of tank to right side then back to the middle where the outflow is.

4. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Shouldn't be an issue.

5. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Thanks. Any idea about red root floaters and if they are low tech and easy to grow? I’d rather not use ferts. They look pretty cool.

6. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

They're less forgiving than other floating plants and prefer higher light.

Regardless of what plants you use fertilizers are a requirement.

7. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Ok thanks for the info.

I was really contemplating on adding a floating plant to my already planted tank. I really like the look of frogbit and red root floaters but don’t know which one would be best for my 29 gallon low tech no ferts tank. I have a regular fluorescent light bulb that came with the tank hood. It’s been plenty of light for my java fern java moss and Anubis. Would it be enough for either of those plants? I have a HOB aqueon power 30 filter and don’t know if that would be to much current for those plants? Thanks for any help on this decision.

5AF2C889-AE62-4F9F-838F-7BDC90848A77.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2019
  8. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Frogbit, duckweed and the like will indeed get sucked up by the filter.

9. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

So floating plants aren’t in my future? Haha

But say of it didn’t get sucked up by the filter. What plant would be best for my tank set up? Frogbit or red root floater?

10. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Just put a prefilter sponge over your filter intake.

Frogbit would do much better than red root floaters.

11. CMB

CMBWell Known MemberMember

Don't use any duckweed! Trust me on this, it will take over your tank, be everywhere, and you will regret it. I personally recommend Brazilian Pennywort as a floating plant. It looks pretty nice and is easy to pull out when it gets too big.

12. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Thanks. Just like how the red root floaters have shorter roots. And the red roots. What would be the challenge with red root floaters? I really like the look haha. I have seachem flourish comprehensive. Would that be good for either one?

13. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

If you want shorter roots go with Salvinia natans. I have it in all my tanks and love it.

Red plants are typically more demanding, they need higher levels of light and consume more nutrients. Without these, they turn green or even die off.

Flourish comprehensive is just a trace element fertilizer, plants will starve on it because it's the equivalent of trying to survive on a diet of Flintstone vitamins. Something like NilocG Thrive or even dosing dry ferts like Potassium Phosphate is much, much better and covers all the bases for plant nutrient requirements.

Here are some pics of Salvina in one of my tanks.

photo_2019-06-04_11-20-00.jpgphoto_2019-06-04_11-20-04.jpg

14. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Thanks those look pretty cool. Do you have to use ferts with that? Would they work with a HOB filter?

I have a aqueon power 30 filter.

15. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

I use NilocG Thrive S in all my tanks. I get really good results.

I have Salvinia in tanks with HOBs, canisters, and built-in filtration, and have it as the main source of filtration on a 1 gallon vase.

16. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Or you could build a corral out of plastic staws or airline tubing.

17. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Do they sell that in the states or Chicago? How much cause when I checked on amazon it was $35 Canadian.

Would the prefilter sponge hurt my filter in the long run or cause to much strain on the filter?

18. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

I think I paid $27 USD for my bottle of Thrive S, which translates to $36 Canadian. It isn't cheap but it is very concentrated, 1ml of regular Thrive treats 10 gallons.

As for the prefilter sponge, when you do your weekly water change just take it off and rinse/squeeze it in the bucket of tank water. They can get clogged but it won't strain your filter. I use them on all my filters.

19. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Only if it gets plugged with debris and the flow is hindered. Sometimes depending on tank setup and type of fish, I need to clean the prefilters every 2 days. But that takes about 10 seconds lol. I use tap water and pressure to clean them, but if you want to preserve BB on them, rinse them in old tank water.

20. OP
    OP
    DoubleD80

Ok thanks!

Did you notice the fish acting different at all when you dose? Last time I dosed the flourish comprehensive with in minutes the fish were flashing and acting erratic. I immediately did a water change and they stopped flashing. That’s why I’ve been kind of weary of using ferts. That and the plants I currently have are thriving without it.

I used the recommended dosage!