Looking For Beginner Cichlids?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by sierrah766, Aug 9, 2018.

1. sierrah766

sierrah766Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +63
    I’m looking for a good beginner cichlid, I’m looking at rams what kind of ran would you think is best? It’s a 29g tank

2. ValerieAdams

ValerieAdamsFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,717
    Experience:
    1 year
    Do you have any other fish in the tank? You could do German Blue Rams or Bolivian Rams

3. OP
    OP
    sierrah766

sierrah766Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +63
    Nope the tank is brand new! I will maybe add some other fish once I realize what I get

4. ValerieAdams

Ratings:
    +3,717
    Experience:
    1 year
    Well, I would pick between those and go from there. GBRs need water around 80 and Bolivians need cooler water

5. TrichogasterAddict

TrichogasterAddictValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +31
    If you are looking for a good beginner cichlid in a 29 gallon tank there are two routes you could go, if you have no other tank mates yet than you could build you stock around a angel fish (they get quite big and will get awful pretty) you could do a small group of corys like albinos, and medium sized tetras and an angel fish, if you want a group of dwarf cichlids i would suggest cockatoo apistos or boulivian rams, here are my stocking recommendations.

Angel stock.
    • 1 Angel fish (NO MORE THAN ONE, they can get awful aggressive and if not they will pair up and cause a scene.)
    • 6-7 Medium sized tetras like phantoms or bleedings, or maybe harlequin rasboras.
    • and then 5-6 warmer water corys like albino or peppered corys.

Dwarf cichlid
    • 2 Female Bolivians/Cockatoo Apistos or 1 female of both (just have loads of hiding places) Or do one male of either so you can have one prettier one but then again, only one.
    • 5-6 Corys warmer water ones.
    • And a large group of small tetras or a small group of medium tetras.
    • Maybe a few platys if you really want.

6. ValerieAdams

Ratings:
    +3,717
    Experience:
    1 year
    I wouldn't do an angelfish in a 29, yes it is doable, but they look so crammed.

Also, I would do at least 8 cories in a 29 gallon. With the angelfish stocking you could do 15. But no peppered, they are cooler water cories. Sterbai cories like warmer water.

You could potentially do a GBR in the Angelfish tank with 8-10 cories.

You could also add honey gouramis to the dwarf cichlid listing you have.

7. TrichogasterAddict

TrichogasterAddictValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +31
    I Agree in some respects about the angel looking crammed, but if you keep one with a few fish that operate in different water levels they do great! i kept one in a 29 gallon for 4 years once, then I moved and had to give the angel to a friend... But everyone has had different experiences!! But on another note, thanks for catching the peppered corys I has really tired at the time and still wanted to give my input. But also be careful with GBR they will be easy to care for if you keep your temp high but don't forget the water change, for GBR I do Water Changes once every 5 days.

Hope this helps, And Good Luck with you stocking! ;)

8. yukondog

yukondogWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +980
    Experience:
    5 years
    Personally I would stay away from GBR, the strain is so week most die. And they need aged water, what about kribs, a pair would do great in a 29 gl. there pretty much undemanding and easy to breed or as already said a pair of apisto's would work. Good luck

9. THRESHER

THRESHERWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +436
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I had issues with my cichlids and the bolivian rams. My cichlids were relentless attacking the rams. After a few minutes of punishment I took the rams out and returned them to the fish store and just got another cichlid.

The bolivian rams are nice tho.

Become a Fishlore Member