Looking For Angelfish Tank Mate, Not Live Bearer.

Greengirl87

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So this will be long. My main question here is that I have an angelfish in a 37 gallon tank and I want tankmate(s) for him. Swordtails did not work for me or him. I didn't like the live bearer aspect. He just didn't like them. Ok, here is the backstory.

I have an angelfish, not sure if male or female, but I think male. His name is castiel and he has been alone for the almost 3 years I've had him. Except for the last couple months, I had swordtails in with him. It didn't go horribly, but it didn't go well. They were very curious about him, and would get in his bubble, which he didn't like. He would constantly be darting at them. Which many times resulted in him running into the glass. But there were never any fights or injuries so I didn't think much of it.

Well a few days ago I started to notice his lips looking dark. It isn't any sort of disease that I could find on the internet. But I have seen it before. He got it in his old tank, when I had a snail in with him that he would constantly ram and knock off the glass. I moved gary the snail to a different tank and cas's lips eventually went back to normal. So I conclude this is some sort of bruising or injury from running into the glass so frequently.

So long story, but the result is that I've rehomed my swordtails and am now trying to find another tankmate for my angelfish. But I'm beginning to wonder if he even can be with other fish. I also recently found out from my friend that gave him to me, that the people she got him from had him in with a koi fish when he was a baby! And obviously, it wasn't going well for them, which is why they got rid of the angelfish. So now I think, well no wonder he has always been startled so easy and doesn't like anything that moves. The first bit of his life was probably spent constantly on edge. So perhaps I should just let him live alone? That or I need a slow moving fish, that won't dart past castiel and startle him. What do you guys think?

Greengirl87

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Cherry barbs are really cool. I have 8 with my angel in a 37.

You could also do BN plecos and corydoras.
I thought barbs were too nippy for angels? And yes, many times people have suggested plecos and corys. Which admittedly would be a good choice. But I don't like the look of them. Some corys are ok, plecos creep me out. And of course any of the corys I like are not available in my area.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I thought barbs were too nippy for angels? And yes, many times people have suggested plecos and corys. Which admittedly would be a good choice. But I don't like the look of them. Some corys are ok, plecos creep me out. And of course any of the corys I like are not available in my area.
Some barbs are nippy, but cherry barbs are good IME.

They don’t have angular mouths, their mouths are like tiny versions of goldfish mouths so The you can’t do too much damage. I would opt for an all male tank(as they have the best colors), but if you want males and females, the best ration is 2:1 females to males. So if you had a school of 12 and wanted both genders, go for 8 females and 4 males.

Greengirl87

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Some barbs are nippy, but cherry barbs are good IME.

They don’t have angular mouths, their mouths are like tiny versions of goldfish mouths so The you can’t do too much damage. I would opt for an all male tank(as they have the best colors), but if you want males and females, the best ration is 2:1 females to males. So if you had a school of 12 and wanted both genders, go for 8 females and 4 males.
I will have to look into them. Thank you for the suggestion!

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmm maybe he just wants to be alone. And it sounds like he's running into the glass because he has no where else to go. Koi aren't an option with how small your tank is. I would maybe consider getting him a 55 gallon. Is his fins wide and long or?

Greengirl87

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmm maybe he just wants to be alone. And it sounds like he's running into the glass because he has no where else to go. Koi aren't an option with how small your tank is. I would maybe consider getting him a 55 gallon. Is his fins wide and long or?
I wasn't considering getting a koi to go with him. That is what he was with as a baby before I got him. Seems like an aweful idea to me, which is probably why they got rid of him. And I wouldn't want a koi period unless I had a pond. I am maxed out on tank space. I have the 37, 2 20's, a 10, and 2 gecko tanks...all in a 1 bedroom apartment. Lol!

And he only runs into the glass when he is chasing or attacking something else. He doesn't do it when he is alone. Because for the first year or so I had him, I kept him alone. Then I got the gold mystery snail, and that is when he started ramming it off the wall. And this darkness to his lips first appeared. I took the snail out and eventually it went away. He also wasn't running into the wall anymore because there was nothing to pester. And that was back when he was in the 20 hex.

Greengirl87

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I really wish I just had an angelfish mate for him. Except I'm not sure if he is actually a he, so I don't know what sex to get. Plus there is no guarantee they'd get along even if I did get the right sex. And the only way I know to find out is get a few angels to put in and wait to see if any pair off. But then I'd have other angels I'd need to rehome, because as I said, I'm maxed out on tank space. Also a problem, castiel is an adult and the ones at the store are juvies. So I'd have to keep them until the grew up a bit before even trying to put them in with cas.

Greengirl87

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes I very much would like a ram. But nowhere close to me sells them. Also, I need to get my tank a bit more established before that.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You would likely need to remove him, rearrange, and replace him in the tank after the new fish have been put in it. Since he has been alone for three years he likely is not going to be very happy with other fish to start off, meaning he is used to the space and might not be willing to share.

Greengirl87

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You would likely need to remove him, rearrange, and replace him in the tank after the new fish have been put in it. Since he has been alone for three years he likely is not going to be very happy with other fish to start off, meaning he is used to the space and might not be willing to share.
Ya, this is pretty much what I'm thinking. I just feel bad for him not having a friend. Lol!

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rams would do great, just don't get a pair or you will have angel nipped fins. Also some rams like cooler and others like warmer.

Greengirl87

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Rams would do great, just don't get a pair or you will have angel nipped fins. Also some rams like cooler and others like warmer.
Good to know! I really like the look of german blues. As far as I know they are a warmer temp one. And I'm not absolutely set on a blue. It is just my favorite of the ones I've seen, though that isn't many admittedly.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Blue Bolivian Rams? The males have an amazing Pattern. There are ballon rams as well (don't recommend) along with black rams, gold rams, etc.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom