Looking for an easy fish to reproduce

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkwolf29a

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes, I want babies, but not so many as convicts. I purchasing two more chaca chaca catfish, and they are carnivores. So, if I can find something easy to breed....I'm up for trying it.

Guppies don't do well, or the fancy ones anyways, in the hard water we have up here in Green Bay, but I'm open to trying anything that might work.

I've heard Platties are easy too, but I've never had any. I do have access to lots of plants, if that makes a difference to your suggestion. I'm planning on getting more this weekend, during my aquarium club's Spring Auction, and I have a 5 gallon plant tank now, which will be doubled in size.

So...planted or not, doesn't matter. I'd like the size of the tank to stay under 20 gallons.

Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi!

Any livebearers really. I know Dave breeds Endeler's - so you can ask him about rearing Livebearer fry.

SereneReyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
i know many people who've gotten a bit overwhelmed with the breeding habits of platies/mollies... i think it's great if you're up for it, but be careful! soon you'll wind up with a half-dozen tanks and no where to put your next batch of babies. good luck!

Barbrella

Well Known Member
Reaction score
soon you'll wind up with a half-dozen tanks and no where to put your next batch of babies. good luck!
I think he wants the fry to feed to his catfish.

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I dont know if I just have very prolific zebra danios or it they are all like this but my zebra danios breed just as much as my guppies, and their fry tends to grow faster.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Would they eat things like Daphia, Banana worms, Brine Shrimp? Daphina and Banana worms especially could be setup as a sustinable culture that would just keep generating food as long as you kept the conditions right. That's small food though and those cats get big enough that I'm not sure they'd want food that small.

It may be worth considering an earthworm 'farm' even. Something like that, if it works, could be less time and effort than maintaining a tank of fish.

Barbrella

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure they'd want food that small
Have you seen the size of their mouths? Live fish are their natural prey and most won't eat anything that's not alive.

joshthefisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
danios would be one of my suggestions they are considerd easy breeders id try any livebearer as well i have an oscar and i plan on just breeding guppys also you could use comet goldfish

Barbrella

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Comet goldfish are kept in very overcrowded and unhealthy conditions in petstores. I don't recommend using them to feed fish as you may be introducing disease and parasites into your tank.

For Oscars, there are many more healthful options: Krill, cichlid pellets, fresh pieces of fish, small shrimps sold for human consumption etc.

Barbrella

Well Known Member
Reaction score
All of those foods are alive.
Right, but I doubt that these guys, who can swallow fish up to half their own size, would be interested in such miniscule prey. Even my bettas turn up their cute little noses at daphnia.

I guess earthworms could be an option.

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Holy Cow!! I just looked that thing up online and its HUGE!! you forget zebra danios I would reccommend buying tad poles and raising them to grown frogs and feed them to the fish!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 6 60.0%

Top Bottom