looking for algae eater, something different

1. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

:;google

any one know some names of good algae eaters, something other than the everday pleco

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello adk. :animal0068:I have deleted your duplicate thread. As Meenu pointed out only 1 thread on the same subject is necessary.
    Thanks and Happy Holidays!
    Ken:;ps

4. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

Check out the albino bushy nose plecos. They are super algae eaters, they stay under 6 inches and get along with other fish and plants.
    PS there is a member that is selling them in the classified section of this forum. I bought two from him and they arrived safe, packaged with heat, and very healthy. Price plus shipping was cheaper then my LFS wanted for them.

5. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

toddnbecka is selling albino bn plecos, I got three and they are so cool. You could Go with mollies, they are pretty and they graze for algae alot

6. erk419 Member Member

What size tank are looking to put them in your ten gallon or 30?

7. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Try siamese algae eaters if they are going in your 30G, but keep atleast 3 if you have room :)

8. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

yes looking for some algea eaters for my 30 gallon tank, i have some red tail sharks. 2 iridesent sharks until they get 2 big, lol, didnt know when i bought them and two columbain sharks that i didnt know were brackish fish when i bought them, lots of learning going on here.

sorry ken, didnt know which place was better for this thread.

are plecos usally kept in groups?

9. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

no

10. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Woah! I don't want to sound harsh, but don't even think about adding any algae eaters.

You shouldnt have any more than one red tail shark
    Columbian sharks and irdescent sharks get huge!

At the moment your tank is a death trap, I suggest getting rid of all those fish and start again.
    I understand that you have just started but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE research before you buy because at the moment I have little hope for any of your fish.

11. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

where is the classified section, i cannot find

12. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

thanks for the great advice platy ben, nothing i dont already know and not like they get 4 feet this year, i think i have alittle time how many people have these fish get this big in any less then YEARS TIME.

and i want to see hard facts why you can only have one red tail shark, they both have there own areas and own ship to hide in.

:animal0068:I've edited your post!
    Ken

13. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I'm not going to argue but a lot of members will agree with me about what I have said, maybe not as aggresively as I did but they will agree.

Please don't get annoyed, I just tried to help.
    Go and read some information and most will tell you that you can only keep one in a tank your size.

14. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Please treat members here with common courtesy and respect. This behavior is uncalled for.

Platy Ben's opinion may differ from yours (although it doesn't seem to, as you are agreeing that you forsee a problem) - but you could disagree much more politely.

To answer your question, here's the classifieds, but I should warn you that many fishlore members won't sell you a fish if they think your tank is going to be a problem.
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/buy-sell-trade/

15. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

I've read several magazine articles about keeping red tail sharks.
    Summarized:
    - Red tail sharks aren't as agressive as their evil reputation.
    - It's a matter of keeping them under the right condition: A maximum number of five fish can be kept in a big tank (minimum length: 150cm (58inch) with a own territory for each fish
    My three red tailed black sharks are now living several months together. I've never noticed more than this "display behaviour". They are all doing fine in their territory.

The thing is: One RTBS has a territory of about (at least) 25 gallon (100 liter). That means, that one shark definitly need this space for its own. (That also means: very clear boundarys with big plants, driftwood, or stones and hiding places)
    The other thing is, if you keep more than one redtail in a tank, its "aggressions" concentrate on the redtails in the tank and other species will be spared from them.

16. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Oh, I don't know anything about the fish - I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with either of you. I was just asking that you show courtesy, and disagree in a more productive manner, which your last post certainly did. :)

17. erk419 Member Member

You have two irdresent sharks what are you gonna do when they get bigger buy a 5000 gallon tank. And the columbian sharks I made the same mistake but I put them in there own tank and made it brackish. Yeah you made a mistake but now you know and your still not doing anything about it.

18. gremlin Well Known Member Member

A single chinese algae eater may do okay. I would not recommend more than one for a 30 gallon as they can be very territorial. They do quite well cleaning algae when they are young. As they mature, they will prefer meatier foods - mine gets sinking carnivore tablets. They have a bad reputation for going after the slime coat of other fish. I my experience, they only do this for one of three reasons. Not enough territory, not enough hiding places (minimum of 2 prefers 3 or more caves/logs/whatever), not enough or varied enough of a diet. They can easily out eat a much larger fish.
    On the up side, they are usually aggressive enough to hold their own with more aggressive tank mates. They come in normal or gold/albino coloring (and the occasional mixture). They are also good at keeping down the snail population when they get older. If provided with sufficient space, caves, and especially food, they will usually leave their tank mates alone. If they never have to resort to eating the slime coat of tankmates, then they don't develop a taste for it and they should not bother the other fish. if you buy one, make sure to get one that looks nice and plump and is not chasing the other fish around.

19. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

How big are your RTS right now?

consider this:

if your RTS are still younger specimens, then they will live peacefully together for a while, with maybe an occasional scat here and there. Once they mature however, they could turn on each other, resulting in highly stressed animals and even death. I've had that happen once.

RTS's have aggressive traits in general, though this does not mean that all RTS are hostile. You may very well have one dominant and one submissive shark, and the submissive shark will soon have his territory taken over by the alpha shark, meaning you will have to remove one or the other. On top of that, they need lateral swimming space, and 30 gallons is barely big enough for one (RTS can grow up to 8" long, my friend has one this length).

As stated before, please reconsider adding any more fish until you have corrected your current stock.

20. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. With 6 sharks in your 30g tank already you are way over stocked I'm sorry to say. With 2 Sharks in your 10g tank I'm afraid it's going to turn into a constant battle of territory. The iridescent sharks can grow to 4 feet each. I've also read about them being tank busters by slamming into the glass panels as they get larger. You've been given some great advice above. Whether or not you accept their advice is completely up to you.

Please note there is no need for rude posts and comments and they will no be tolerated. Not all of the advice and suggestions are going to be what you want to hear.

Too, from what you've typed as your stocking list and what you have listed in your aquarium information seems to be different. If you would update your aquarium information in your profile, it will be a big help.

Ken