Looking for algae eater help

Howeller

Hi, first post here so sorry if this is the wrong place for the question.
I have just converted my 80 gallon planted tank to house turtles, the tank has been cycled for nearly 2 years and has pretty stable perameters but now that I have changed over to support turtles I have an area of high intensity lighting over the basking area, this mixed with the addition uvb lighting I think is causing quicker algae growth, especially on the large wood at the surface they use to bask and climb in the water.
I usually clean it off weekly with the water change but as it grows it makes it hard for the turtles to climb as it becomes slippy.
I was wondering if there is a freshwater clean up crew like I use in my reef tanks, a mixture of either fish or inverts to help with this rapid growth. It's mostly just surface algae but it does have some hair algae on the really bright areas.
Anything that goes into the tank needs to be a few inches as anything too small the turtles will think is lunch, they aren't aggressive to fish they just eat anything they can fit in their mouths, including rocks.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry again if this is the wrong place

Howeller

Siamese algae eater is my favorite. Great fish.
Hangs out low mostly, eats algae. Can fend for himself, but not aggressive. Needs some algae wafers after he cleans your tank.

Not the same as Chinese algae eater which gets much bigger.
Thanks I will look for these the next time I'm at the fish shop.

Upvote 0

Howeller

Siamese algae eater is my favorite. Great fish.
Hangs out low mostly, eats algae. Can fend for himself, but not aggressive. Needs some algae wafers after he cleans your tank.

Not the same as Chinese algae eater which gets much bigger.
So I purchased a few of these the other day and they have nuked all of the algae in the tank, done way more than I would have expected.
Thanks for the incredible recommendation

Upvote 0

Frank the Fish guy

Now get them some spirulina wafers!

Upvote 0

Howeller

Now get them some spirulina wafers!
Thanks for the link, I'm in the uk so can't use petco, but I did buy some algae wafers when I purchased the fish

Upvote 0

Frank the Fish guy

Try to look for the Sera brand stuff. Great stuff. German company.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

I think blanched veggies like zucchini and cucumbers are a great option. To blanch veggies you just put the veggie in boiling water for about 1-2 minutes and put it on a baking tray and put it in the freezer. easy peasy! And yummy. Variation is key. 2 foods for a balanced diet. They will defintley thank you for it!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • ArowanaQueen
  • Reptile
Replies
Views
Dippiedee
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies