looking for advise, my pH is 8.2 20 Gallon Tank

1. whiskers Initiate Member

My 20g tank has a pH of 8.2.
    0 ammonia
    0 nitrite
    0-5 nitrate

My tank just finished cycling and up until yesterday I had been doing 40% water changes about every other day. Could the water changes cause the high pH? I'm using the API master test kit.

2. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

What is the PH of the water straight out of the tap?

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi, whiskers. I noticed in your tank information that you are using Stress Zyme.

Stress zyme doesn't contain nitrifying, aquatic bacteria. (BTW, Neither does Cycle). Only Tetra Safe Start has the correct bacteria.

Stress Zyme and like products will only work if you add them for the life of the tank, usually weekly. The becteria they contain eats all the ammonia in your tank, and doesn't let the correct bacteria to grow. If I were you, I would stop using it. You may want to do a search in this forum's search engine to get more opinions on the product.

I think maybe your tank isn't truly cycled if you are using that stuff, even though I hope it is. Maybe when you test your water in a week, and don't add any more, you can see if the cycle crashes.

By the way, if you can get your hands on some, Tetra Safe Start is a great product. It's the only product that I know of that contains the correct bacteria. Type that into the search engine too. If you decide to use it, make sure you've researched how to use it properly. It's a bit finicky, and I can tell you from personal experience that it's not fun or cheap to have to use 4 bottles of something that needed only one bottle becuase you kept messing up.

As far as the pH is concerned, I agree that the first thing to do is to check it out of the tap and then go from there. I know you didn't ask about Stress Zyme, but I just don't want to see you having to spend money every week on the stuff.

4. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Taking a reading of pH right out of the tap isn't the "true" reading though. The only way to know is getting a bucket of water, putting an airstone to agitate the surface for oxygen for 24 hrs, then test it. The link below explains it. It would be good to know what your kH reading is.

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/articles/107

5. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

Hmmm. Mine is the same straight out of the tap as it is in my tank...That is a great article though.

6. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

It is a good article!!! Mine is the same too right out of the tap. Acidic. I have low kH though which sucks.

7. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

I would love to have low..lol..I want some of the fish that need it. I have around 8ph.

8. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not entirely sure what my pH readings is because it only goes to 6.0 on the card, which is the yellow..lol..I use the API liquid. It could be lower then 6.0. so I try to keep it up slightly with clam shells and baking soda sometimes being careful. I had issues trying to cycle my 55 gallon awhile back, then I raised the pH up slightly so I'd get out of the yellow zone and It made a difference. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

9. Toddnbecka Member Member

My advice is to keep fish that like hard, alkaline water rather than trying to lower and maintain the pH. Your stocking options for a 20 are limited to smaller fish. Livebearers are usually a good bet, or inverts like mystery snails and/or cherry shrimp.

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

the ph will steady itself within a couple weeks after cycling...during the process, it can change constantly ...leave it be for at least a week without water changes(now that the cycle is done) and see where it settles down to

11. whiskers Initiate Member

I stopped using the stress zyme about a week ago (when i was told it wasn't the right bacteria for cycling. I didn't test the tap water because i dont have a second air stone. rechecked levels today

pH 8.2
    KH 8
    GH 7.5

12. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

a freshly cycled tank, or a currently cycling tank, will have a ph that changes often..if in a week or 2 you still have a high ph, then you can worry or leave it be..as long as its a steady ph, and you arent trying to breed something specifically that needs a lower ph, it will be ok.....but again give it a week and if it is still to high for you, put some peat moss in the filter , add some driftwood with tannis, or a dried almond leaf...

13. whiskers Initiate Member

great! thank you so much. my tank would be doomed without this site!

14. Cableguy9872 Initiate Member

Also consider using a mixture of RO water and Tap water(to dilute your PH of your tap water), this is what I am doing, just be sure to do small water changes with the mixutre not big ones for you will drop your PH in your tank to fast and cause stress on your fish!

edit:
    I have the same problem as you, my ph out of tap(even after 48 hours) is 8.2, I added peat which dropped it .2 in a week, then started doing small PWC(15% or so) with PURE RO water(right now, to help lower my PH) and have dropped it a total of another .2, so im down to 7.8. You could also consider using PURE RO water and using buffers added to the water to help keep a stable PH

15. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

My water straight out of the tap is also 8.2. I don't use any chemical product to lower it, however, I do keep driftwood in 2 of my tanks. I have kept neon tetras, zebra danios, red eyed puffers, bettas, dwarf gouramis, kuhli loaches, guppies, and mollies, and probably some I forgot. The high pH doesn't really seem to affect them.