Looking for advice

skywalking

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI all!
So, to get right into it, I have 4 betta fish(1 girl), 10 neon tetras, 1 synodontis eupterus, no space in my room, no hours at work atm, and a dummy thicc electricity bill.
I have a 20 gallon long currently housing the tetras.
I have 2 10 gallons holding 1 betta each, and 2 5.5 gallons with the same stock.
I have a 75 gallon with just the one catfish.
And I have a spare 10 gallon.
I guess the real question I'm asking is: if I end up moving the tetras or just buying another 20 long and divide it in 3, so roughly 6 gallons each (I'd only move 3 bettas) will the one that was in a 10 gallon become like. Upset? Will downgrading the amount of space he has make him prone to illness or anything? Hes already got a massive tumor on his tail that bleeds regularly and I don't want to do anything to ruin quality of life.
Prior to this I wouldnt consider putting bettas in even a divided tank but it's kinda become too much. All but one of these fish are rescues and I never intended to fill my room and my bill like this. I've got on and off depression so keeping up on tank maintenance has become a mountain to climb and I'm thinking that just putting the 3 together would make things easier but I'm not sure.
Theres a lot to consider. I just want what's best for them.
On a side note, if I wanted to move the tetras to a 10 gallon, do you think all 10 would be alright in there? Or would it be totally overstocked?
I appreciate any and all responses and thoughts, thank you!!

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
I don't think it would be upset with the slightly smaller 'tank' but it might show some sign of hostility if the divider is clear and it can see an adjacent beta. It will certainly spend a lot of time 'examining' the neighboring beta.... Most (not all) fishes have excellent eye sight.

OP
S

skywalking

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jake37 said:
I don't think it would be upset with the slightly smaller 'tank' but it might show some sign of hostility if the divider is clear and it can see an adjacent betta. It will certainly spend a lot of time 'examining' the neighboring betta.... Most (not all) fishes have excellent eye sight.
Oh I know lol my bettas watch me all the time. I planned on using as dark a divider as I could. Tbh I'd prefer to separate the sections completely with a solid divider but that defeats the purpose of trying to bring the bill down lol

BlackMolly99

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would say ten tetras are totally fine in a 10 g.
You could definitely put the bettas in a divided tank.
I'm not sure if you already have live plants but I would put some in with your bettas just to keep things interesting for them :) ;)

OP
S

skywalking

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BlackMolly99 said:
I would say ten tetras are totally fine in a 10 g.
You could definitely put the bettas in a divided tank.
I'm not sure if you already have live plants but I would put some in with your bettas just to keep things interesting for them :) ;)
I think I will eventually but I know live plants need tons of light and atm I keep the lights off most of the time to save energy. Maybe once this covid **** blows over thank you!

OP
S

skywalking

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BlackMolly99 said:
If your interested I've read that ludwigia palustris
doesn't need very much light.Also it has a really nice
red colour.
For real? I'll have to keep that in mind! Thank you!

New Threads