Looking for advice

1. Fatecallsuponus Initiate Member

I bought my first tank more then a month ago, and it's been an experience. First, I only had a betta from Pets Unlimited, and five live plants. I've got a filter and heater in there as well. I bought a ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrite tester and got the cycle started before I put anything in. Bill got fin rot, I think from me not feeding him a varied diet and a sudden nitrite spike and it took a toll to his fins; he's only just beginning to recover. I put in six silver tip tetras and an apple snail, then the tetras got ick, which is thankfully gone now. I've been changing the water every week, have protein based pellets I give my fish all of the stuff I've read up about. I just acquired a free 50 gallon tank from a friend and I'm wondering for advice on if this is a good idea to start up a large freshwater community tank with my lack of experience as well as keep up my 5 gal, and maybe just some tips at least?

2. renthus Well Known Member Member

Get a bigger tank, and as soon as it's cycled, move the tetras to it. They're probably miserable in that tiny 5g, and the betta is probably getting more and more fed up with them (aren't they nippers?). Besides moving the tetras, don't add additional stock to the bigger tank until your current stock is stable.

FYI, a pretty common mistake for new fishkeepers is to assume that smaller tanks are easier. Not true. In a bigger tank, there's more water, so you're less likely to have these fast spikes.

3. Fatecallsuponus Initiate Member

Oh, is that too many fish? Darn, the pet store lied to me. Okay, will do. Thank you for the advice, I have noticed a change in behaviour with Bill and wasn't sure what that was about. Oh! wow, really? That's great then, you don't think I would have too much of an issue with a 50 gallon?

4. renthus Well Known Member Member

Well, first off, bettas have a tendency to destroy everything in sight, especially fin nippers like those tetras, so giving them tankmates isn't usually a good idea. Then there's the problem that a 5g really can barely hold anything, much less fish as active as the average tetra. Honestly, I've gotten to the point where I just ignore what people in fish stores say and post a quick thread here whenever I have a question. People on here aren't trying to sell me things.

As long as you don't start going crazy with the 50g until *after* you've got your current stock stable, you'll be fine.

5. FiscCyning Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! That's great luck to get a free 50 gallon!

The larger tank will actually be easier because you won't get ammonia and nitrite spikes as quickly. You have a lot of fish in a 5 gallon, so all that fish waste makes the water parameters dangerous quickly. I agree with setting up the 50 gallon and moving the tetras (and maybe the snail) into it. A 5 gallon tank is the perfect size for one betta, and they really are solitary fish who do better on their own. The tetras will love the extra room of the big tank, and once it is fully cycled you can add some more community-friendly fish to it.

Weekly water changes are great for a tank that has already finished the nitrogen cycle, but right now you would be better off with more frequent water changes to keep ammonia and nitrites down. Having pristine water is also the best thing you can do for a betta with fin rot, so he will be grateful for the extra water changes!

6. Fatecallsuponus Initiate Member

Thank you so much! That definitely gives me confidence to go ahead and start the 50 gallon set up, and I'll get the tetras out of there asap. I appreciate the advice!

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Fatecallsuponus :)
    Looms like good advice above.

I just wanted to say welcome!

8. Prep8611 Member Member

Does the 50 gallon come with a filter? If not I'd get a canister filter and use some of the media from your 5 gallon to start it off. IMHO i think canister filters are best for 50 plus gallon tanks because of how much media you can put in there. You can do all sorts of filtration (biological,mechanical, and need be chemical)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. Fatecallsuponus Initiate Member

Thank you for the welcome! I really want to get as much information as I can before I do anything. No, it doesn't come with anything, just a stand. The silicone in the corners seems to be coming off at places so i'll have to take a look at that, and I need to order/make a new cover. I was wondering which way to go, Canister or not. Is there any brands you recommend?

10. renthus Well Known Member Member

Personally, I'd get a good pump, and just make my own canister filter. The concept and construction are both quite straightforward.

11. Prep8611 Member Member

I use fluval and eheim canisters and think they are great but a lot of people use sunsun canisters and I actually have read many reviews of them and I will probably purchase one in the future do to the low price. If I had to choose between the canisters I currently use I'd go with fluval cause maintaining the filter and ease of use are huge selli points to me.