Looking for advice on multis

fishkeeper19524

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When this whole coronavirus chaos is over, I want to get some multifaciatus. Here is what I know so far.
-I Wil be getting a 15 gallon so I should get a maximum of 3
- they need a lot of shells
- they need sand

But I have a few questions

Do they prefer sponge or canister
filters ?

Should I buy them online or at my Lfs ?

If they breed, what should I feed the fry ?

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok...

First: Get a 20 long. A 15 has a too small footprint. They need a lot of ground, the tank doesn't have to be high though. In that case if they accidently sell you two males and a female the males can be sepearatet by some rocks to cut the line of sight in the aquarium.

The type of filter is irrelevant in the end, but making it easier for you would be a canister or a hang on back. A regular pumpfilter inside would also work. Sponge filters can be burrowed by them, they take away precious space.

LFS, so you can make sure there are males and females available and you can look at them beforehand. I would always prefer this to online vendors.

Oh they will breed. They are like Guppies.
Same the adults get, just smaller. So artemia is always good or ground flakefood if nothing else is available. They will also soon go for the smaller bits the adults leave.

TucanSam

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have mine with a simple hob. As long as the flow isn't insane, a canister should be fine. They spend most of the time at or near the bottom of the tank anyway.

I would get whichever are cheaper for you. My lfs sold them for like 30 each, but I got to watch them and support small business so I was okay with the expense. They're pretty hardy little fish imo so shipping should be okay. Try to get 1 male to 2 females if you can.

They will definitely breed, unless you're unlucky. I feed my fry first bites and frozen baby brine shrimp. When they get bigger they can eat ground up flakes. My breeding couple died so now I only have teens and they do fine on crushed up flakes

HikarI makes a frozen baby brine shrimp that fry love, and I highly recommend it.

New Threads