looking for advice / Choices

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by peregrine, Jun 24, 2016.

1. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

OK. So some of you know currently have a 10 gal. Going to go up to a 20 ((for those who know don't ask why it's not already been done that is as long of a story as my intro)) But in this switch my Wife wants to go planted.

Never had a planted tank so of course I said OK... Here is my thought on what I'm going to do ((mind you at first changing no stock from what is currently in the 10)) Everything will be moving ((and upgraded as stock and time goes by)). But here is the aquascape question. ((mind you this tank is still for my 3 year old daughter))

So Looking at going with a black sand/gravel mixture. ((you can see my gravel pretty well in my bio pic)) Was going to take 5 pounds of black sand and put a layer down in the 20 gallon. Then mix the 10 pounds of mardi gras colored top fin gravel with the other 5 pounds of black sand ((giving a total of 20 pounds)) f the bright color "pop" effect my 3 year old daughter loves. Anyone see any issue with something like this?

For plants going to go hybrid ((at least at first)), so move the current fake plants over and aquascape with that ((again for color)). But looking for what people think for live plants to go in it... I suck BAD at doing comparability and looks. Since neither my wife or I have ever done a planted tank, it's a new thing..

She can make things look pretty with the locations of things, just since we have never done anything like this it's a new and learning adventure.

As a side note, according to everyone I have the uncanny ability to kill unkillable plants. Luckily I have ,my wife who can salvage almost anything I touch, but just worried since we have never done aquatic plants ((don't know how different in care they are from terrestrial plants))

2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

First on the sand and gravel mix thing...Lots of people try this but most of the time what ends up happening is you end up with all the sand at the bottom while the gravel is on top. I would suggest if you want a sand bottom to just remove all of the gravel

As far as plants go, there are some very simple ones that take very little care. In my experience the easiest ones are anacharis, crypt wendtii, java fern, and marimo moss balls that all take little to no maintenance whatsoever.

This is a great thread for easy plant research

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/297-how-set-up-low-light-low-tech-planted-tank.html

3. OP
    OP
    peregrine

thanks for the link. I knew I had seen something like that somewhere but couldn't find it.

will keep in mind about the gravel/sand thing. Thanks, is why I asked here. Might stick with gravel then, as my 3 year old loves her brightly colored gravel. But we will see..

4. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with everything suggested by tyguy7760. I also suggest going for a 20 long if you weren't planning on it already since you have both neons and danios you're moving over. :)

5. OP
    OP
    peregrine

el337 yup it's going to be a 20 long. Just keeping them as happy as I can right now in the 10. To me will be interesting to see how they react to the extra length. Or larger.. depending on what I can find on craiglist that I can fit in my house.. an convince my wife of.. haha

6. el337

I think you should definitely try getting something larger! A 55g would be awesome and then just keep the 10g for your daughter. :)

7. OP
    OP
    peregrine

@el337 See what you don't realize is I struck a deal with my wife. we get the 20 long ((or similar footprint)) for my daughter for now to make the fishies happy.. My wife gets a puppy in a few months.... and shortly thereafter my wife said I could get the 65 I want..

EDIT: I may make the 10 into a small sump for my 65. Or just keep as a QT tank..

8. el337

Ah, got it. And you definitely can't go back on your word.

9. OP
    OP
    peregrine

el337 exactly. Little one wants fishies.. and we spoil all our pets. these fish aren't going to be any different... Just was given bad info at first about the fish being happy in a 10... OH well... Oh and other negotiation I had with her.. is she wants to move into a bigger house ((I have been arguing against it because our house is big enough personally)) But I want a 250+ reef tank.....So in a few years we wlil sell and buy a bigger house.. and I get to build a reef tank... ((probably start out FOWLR but get reef compatible fish so I can go reef when it totally stabilizes)) My wife is liking this new addiction too much. I'm afraid of what she is going to "negotiate" next..

10. el337

lol I can completely relate. I had neons, bloodfin tetras and guppies in a 10g before I knew anything about fishkeeping.

And I'm in a similar situation where I want a bigger tank but my husband wants to move first and then set up a bigger tank. And he's liking this hobby as well and is urging me to set up saltwater next. lol

11. OP
    OP
    peregrine

HAHA. yeah a we don't really even hav ea place for anything over about a 65 ((and that is pushing it)) My wife also wants a pond which we can't get here which I think would be an interesting project...

12. el337

OOhhh.. yeah, I would LOVE a pond too. That would be so nice to have.

So, when is the new 20g going to get purchased? Are you just looking around on craigslist or are you getting one from Petco's $1/gal sale?

13. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

haha those spouses. mine wanted me to start a 150 gallon saltwater tank that was on CL. That's just a little too intimidating for me at the moment.

14. OP
    OP
    peregrine

20 will be no later than the petco sale. there is a breeder selling off all his equipment close by and has 20's for $20 but haven't heard back from him about if they are 20 long or tall ((I'm guessing long since it's a breeder)) and if he still has any..

biggest thing is I might need a stand for the 20. Right now the 10 is on one of the Ikea 2x2 square shelving things. Afraid it might be wider than that and not sure about the weight...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice