Looking For A Quality Blue Diamond Discus

Discussion in 'Discus Fish' started by Lucyn, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Lucyn

LucynValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +174
    Experience:
    2 years
    I've been on the search for a quality Blue Diamond Discus. I'm looking for around the 3.5-5 Inch range, that way it's not too big to bully my Discus, or be the size of a quarter and killed. Any suggestions or referrals are appreciated, I would prefer not to pay a boatload for shipping either.

2. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,153
    Experience:
    5 years
    @jmaldo got some great looking blue diamonds not too long ago. I think it was from hans discus. I think you should be close enough to him to have a good shipping price.

3. OP
    OP
    Lucyn

LucynValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +174
    Experience:
    2 years
    Would you say $70 is a good price, personally?

4. nikm128

Ratings:
    +3,153
    Experience:
    5 years
    For what exactly? A discus? Shipping price? Total for shipping and Discus?

5. OP
    OP
    Lucyn

LucynValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +174
    Experience:
    2 years
    Shipping sorry haha

6. nikm128

Ratings:
    +3,153
    Experience:
    5 years
    Well it's case to case, but if you were to buy from Hans for example, that would be from Florida to you in Maine. Since most breeders price shipping by weight, water isn't light, and a ~4" discus needs a good amount of water, I would say $70 is good in this scenario.

I just checked, it would be ~$82 to send one that size all the way over to me in Colorado so it should be closer to $55-60 for you.

7. OP
    OP
    Lucyn

LucynValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +174
    Experience:
    2 years
    Yeah it's 70 for shipping for any size, an option for sure. I'm definitely considering Uncle Sams Discus, really good prices and I've heard a lot of good things about Uncle Sam's, any thoughts? 50 Dollar shipping along with very cheap Discus seems promising, along with the fact he has a lot of sales... seems almost too good to be true lol

8. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,320
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes Hans and all shipping is expensive. He in Maryland not Florida so he will get the fish to you next day. But Jmoldo got his from Denis discus. Again very nice looking discus. @BarbaraLocke just got some discus and the shipping was a lot cheaper and she’s in NH so she’s a lot closer to you. Good luck and post some pics.

9. jmaldo

jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,726
    Experience:
    2 years
    @Lucyn

When researching/looking for Discus, $70 (+/-) for shipping was the going rate. I compiled a short list of breeders/suppliers. You can check my thread, a ton of info.
    Jmaldo's Discus Build

Here is the list from post #47
    I did purchase mine from Welcome to Our Discus and Freshwater Stingrays Store!

His shipping was $68 but free if the purchase was over $399

Best of Luck on your decision.

10. OP
    OP
    Lucyn

LucynValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +174
    Experience:
    2 years
    Thanks guys, very appreciated, will update on my decision later!

11. BarbaraLocke

BarbaraLockeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +345
    Experience:
    1 year
    Take a look at the Blue Diamonds here The iFISH Store - Welcome to The iFISH Store I just got 6 of the 2” Discus, and am very happy with them. This place is located in Queens, NY, so it’s very close to you. That said, they use UPS to ship, and UPS ships everything coming further east to their Lexington, KY sorting hub before it gets flown to Manchester, NH (or probably in your case Portland, Me) Still, the fish arrived active and healthy. I also bought 4 of the little ones from Hans, and even though he’s in Maryland, he uses FED EX, and they send all shipments to their sorting hub in Tenn. So proximity to the seller doesn’t necessarily mean a shorter time spent in travel for the fish! All they care about is that it’s ‘next day’. One of the Hans fish was more stressed than the other (wobbly swimming, and tilting off to the side when still - then not eating) and I’ve been nursing it in a separate tank for the past couple of weeks - but all in all the quality of Hans fish is probably superior to the 6 I just got from The iFish Store. I’m just a newbie to Discus, and I’m not looking to show or breed, so bloodlines aren’t a big factor for me. I just want healthy, colorful Discus to enjoy looking at. The sale price on the fish, and the $39.99 shipping, regardless of how many fish you ordered, was what sold me on trying the iFish store. Oh, and I liked that they ship their fish with Methylene blue, and their acclimation instructions are a lot more incremental than Hans (although both are considered plop and drop, I guess).

12. 86 ssinit

Ratings:
    +3,320
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Wow Barbara that place is close. Less than a half hour away and till you brought it up I’ve never heard of it. Thanks I will have to take a ride in there .

13. OP
    OP
    Lucyn

LucynValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +174
    Experience:
    2 years
    Wow, thanks for mentioning, extremely cheap shipping. My one concern is I've never heard of this place other than when you just mentioned it, would you say that Discus were of great quality? I know you said healthy, but mainly my question meaning not stunted?

14. 86 ssinit

Ratings:
    +3,320
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    She has a video of her fish on my thread starting a 125 discus tank.

15. OP
    OP
    Lucyn

LucynValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +174
    Experience:
    2 years
    Ahhh I see I found it, beautiful thread by the way haven't even read through half and already very intrigued.

16. 86 ssinit

Ratings:
    +3,320
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Most everyone in there has there own thread going with there discus. Lots of great info and helpful people .

17. BarbaraLocke

Ratings:
    +345
    Experience:
    1 year
    That would be Wonderful, @86 ssinit !! You can report back what you think of the place, and his fish. As I learn more about conformation and coloring it may be that his are only mediocre - but none of mine look stunted to me. Both the PB’s have some peppering, and the snakeskin still shows his stress bars, but hey, I’ve got 8 crowded into a 20g tank while I get the 75g ready, and they get a major cleaning and water change every day - who wouldn’t be stressed?!

18. OP
    OP
    Lucyn

LucynValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +174
    Experience:
    2 years
    hm I may have to go with iFish, I don't really care about colors either, as long as they aren't stunted. $90 for a grand total on a 4 inch Discus sounds pretty promising to me. By the way, my girlfriend lives 20 minutes from Barrington, I go through there all the time! lol

19. BarbaraLocke

Ratings:
    +345
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hi ‘neighbor’! You must be in southern Maine? Well, after looking at a lot of photos, and reading about stunted Discus, and the causes, Ike say that some of mine might be stunted. I wonder if the suppliers advertise by size rather than age because of that? One of the things the ‘Discus Gang’ has been discussing is how our fish grow at different rates, even when they all started out pretty much the same size when we bought them. I’ve also learned that young stunted Discus might grow out just fine - it depends on why they got stunted in the first place. If it was because of overcrowding, not enough food, or poor water, then it’s possible for them to ‘recover’ with some tlc, but then there are some that seem to have more of a genetic cause.....so it can be hard to tell if you don’t know their full history.

20. OP
    OP
    Lucyn

LucynValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +174
    Experience:
    2 years
    Yeah I have 5 Discus I've gotten all at the same time, same size, none are the same size anymore lol. And yeah she lives in South Berwick btw. I actually called iFish and asked if their stock of 4 inch inch Discus all look the same, he stated that they should be around identical, which looking at the display picture is really impressive, if it's true.

Become a Fishlore Member