Looking for a project

Dart
Hello! I am looking for a small project....something to challenge me and be fun. Looking to find something to breed and work towards improving in some way. I have RO water available to use, and will be getting some 10-30 gallon tanks for this project. I'm leaning towards livebearers but will consider all options. Not necessarily looking to sell them, but would like to cull for the best and continue to improve them. Ideas?

Advertisement
SM1199
There are a huge variety of endlers that you can easily colony breed in 10+ gallon tanks! You could even do so with just a single tank, if you only want one strain. I personally love the yellow leopard endlers, and if you're lucky, sometimes you can find a few males at Petsmart. They're small enough that you can have quite the group going in a nano tank.

Rachel O'Leary made a video about colony breeding white clouds for beautiful little traits that the untrained eye might not notice. I find them intriguing as well.

If you're looking for a sell-able project (which you may not be), check out Aquabid to find rare/unusual strains of livebearers for sale, including wilds that I personally wish I could get my hands on some day. These you could sell if you found the right market for them or were willing to sell online.

Good luck!

Advertisement
kallililly1973
Livebearers, Cory cats, shrimp, mystery snails. Just a few that come to mind for some projects. Good luck. Be sure to post pics of your adventure!!

Dart
Thanks! I think I'm leaning towards just working with guppies for now, and my hubby is going to work with shrimp We are going to be trying for a baby human within the next 6 months, so I don't want to invest too much into a project that may have to be abandoned or left to its own devices...especially since horse show/training season is coming upon us (I show Appaloosas on a national level and train them myself, as well as working a full time job and a part time job). Can you tell we enjoy being busy?

If I don't have 100 things to do each day I am bored to death, so bring on the fish! I plan on just working with one of my 2 favorite guppy males (haven't decided which yet)...have a lemon cobra and a red cobra, and they are both quite stunning. Have some cheap 29 gallon tanks lined up for purchase, and looking forward to this adventure!

SM1199
especially since horse show/training season is coming upon us (I show Appaloosas on a national level and train them myself, as well as working a full time job and a part time job). Can you tell we enjoy being busy?

And I thought training my one mare that I'm not showing at all was enough of a handful! Wow!

John58ford
Harlequin rasboras are a little more challenging, but a 10 is plenty enough to get them to breed. Egg layers are a whole different game than live-bearers and would offer more challenge. Though I have been doing live-bearers and it is rewarding, it is quite easy and I don't really feel like I have done much other than select the best male generation after generation. Kinda boring. After I run a generation each of 2 more hybrid endler varieties I'm going to switch it up and do either my purple rasboras in a pair of 10s, or my silvtip tetras (these guys need a 20 long though) as they are both breeding like mad, but gobbling fry.

If you have the patience, I would try an egg layer for a greater feeling of accomplishment when you're done. Unless you have a reptile, or other use for guppy culls.

Advertisement

Dart
Harlequin rasboras are a little more challenging, but a 10 is plenty enough to get them to breed. Egg layers are a whole different game than live-bearers and would offer more challenge. Though I have been doing live-bearers and it is rewarding, it is quite easy and I don't really feel like I have done much other than select the best male generation after generation. Kinda boring. After I run a generation each of 2 more hybrid endler varieties I'm going to switch it up and do either my purple rasboras in a pair of 10s, or my silvtip tetras (these guys need a 20 long though) as they are both breeding like mad, but gobbling fry.

If you have the patience, I would try an egg layer for a greater feeling of accomplishment when you're done. Unless you have a reptile, or other use for guppy culls.
My pH is 8.4 so not very conducive to tetras or rasboras, unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion tho!!!

John58ford
I understand that. I have extremely soft water, and a seasonal pH of 7.2-7.8 (on a well) otherwise would be trying to raise shell dwellers right now. Buffering just doesn't seem to get me feeling super fuzzy yet, though I haven't had any spinal deformities with my endlers even with very low gH so I don't know how important it really is in the long run. Good luck with your project, no matter what you choose it's sure to be fun

Dart
I understand that. I have extremely soft water, and a seasonal pH of 7.2-7.8 (on a well) otherwise would be trying to raise shell dwellers right now. Buffering just doesn't seem to get me feeling super fuzzy yet, though I haven't had any spinal deformities with my endlers even with very low gH so I don't know how important it really is in the long run. Good luck with your project, no matter what you choose it's sure to be fun
My water (well also) is super crazy....GH of 1, KH of 38. So I use partial RO water mixed with well and then add in Equilibrium.

John58ford
38 degrees? Wow! I get 3 and 4 degrees respectively. That sounds pretty challenging indeed.

Advertisement

Rev
I'm trying to remember right but I believe there's a program you can sign up for where you take care of and breed endangered species of fish? Or something along those lines where their wild populations are threatened. That could potentially be interesting. I'm trying to find the name of it this is really bugging me.

Dart
38 degrees? Wow! I get 3 and 4 degrees respectively. That sounds pretty challenging indeed.
It is ridiculous and people thought I messed up the tests but I have a ton of sodium in my water I think??

Rev
aha! I think I found them. The CARES program is what I was thinking. And here's another different one. Could be an interesting idea. Or there's other endangered species you can breed on your own without organizations. N class endlers. Zebra plecos. Tons of cool options. Good luck! You can't really go wrong no matter what you choose as your project

Amazoniantanklvr

Advertisement

YellowGuppy
YELLOW GUPPIES!!! I might be a bit partial...

CHJ
If I was going to breed live bearers the ones that most recently tempted me are those that are extinct in the wild or threatened.
These

IMG_20191006_162620.jpg

or these

live225.jpg

I like the idea of preserving fish that are having a rough time of it. I really like the ones at the bottom but they sold out fast.

Or the Pike livebearer I wanted since I was a kid. I don't think these are in anyway threatened, just unpopular as I have seen them at the LFS only once. Come to think of it I have seen them in a shop once and that is it, they took months to sell.

MacZ
I recently heard there is quite a demand for actual Corydoras nanus. Most that are sold under that name seem to be colorvariation of another species.

Dart
Thanks for the ideas guys! I really appreciate it, and man CHJ those fish on the last photo are pretty sweet!!

Advertisement

Dart
Ok, man I am still stumped. I just don't know what is going to be my best bet. I really want something I can selectively breed and improve (something that will challenge me and be fun...if I'm not challenged and have something to work on I quickly become bored and complacent), not just maintain. I am looking at some of the rarer livebearers (melanistic gambusia holbrooki, tiger limia, Ilyodon furcidens (probably a little too big for what I want my setup to be) and zoogoneticus tequila) as well as endlers and guppies. I just don't know what is going to be the right match for me.

At this point I'm sort of leaning towards endlers, but haven't found the ONE I have completely fallen in love with and feel I could improve in a way. I've been scouring private seller sites and Aquabid. Any insight?

david1978
These used to be popular but don't seem to be very popular any more.

Rev
There's so many different endlers very hard to choose. I love the japan blue gold double swords they look awesome, really want some of those one day. Not sure if there's a lot to really perfect with those though they'd just be a cool fish. What you could do is try some crosses. Get a couple males and females that are different strains that might look cool together and start a totally new strain of you're own. Really line breed that out to bring out colors and patterns in a way you want. That could be good if you have a couple strains you like but can't decide between either.

SM1199
If you were willing to move away from livebearers, how about killifish? There are so many to choose from, probably the most diverse and colorful group of freshwater species, and you can find perennial types whose eggs will hatch without having to dry them out.

I had Aphyosemion australe for a while, super cool fish, they come in more than one color strain and there are many different traits that people select for (length of fin tips, width and darkness of red markings, etc).

The great thing about killifish is that you can ship their eggs more safely than you can ship live fish because they take a while to hatch. The downside is, well, they take a while to hatch. But pretty neat group of fish!

Advertisement

GoldfishNatalie
I have just started breeding guppies and platys, I already have a batch of platy fry, and a SERIOUSLY pregnant guppy! I would DEFINATELY go with livebearers, at least at first, so you don't have to worry about hatching the eggs, which can be tricky. I love my livebearers! (And my goldfish, which are pets, not breeding yet, and my bladder snails)

Megabeth
Hi! Im not sure if anyone can help but I'm getting a little bored with my tanks. I was toying with the idea of starting a saltwater tank but with the cost and my size of tank I think it would be better to stick with freshwater. Im still stocking one of my tanks but both my tank are relatively small (15g,20g both high) so I don't have that many options. I have one more tank that I'm not using for anything that I might be able to convince my parents to set it up but i don't think ill be able to upgrade any tanks right now. I want something different maybe a project or just something new to do to the tanks (I only have tropical tanks right now). I don't think i want a breeding project mainly because i have no idea what i would do with the babies. Not sure if anyone can help but i thought i would put it out there!

mimo91088
mattgirl
Have you considered sitting up a shrimp only tank? They are fascinating little creatures. I actually spend more time watching my shrimp bowl than I do my fish tanks.

Advertisement

BigManAquatics
There is something to be said for just enjoying what you have, too

mimo91088
There is something to be said for just enjoying what you have, too
That's true. But I get where OP is coming from. I like to change gears every once in awhile as well. Keeps my passion for the hobby fresh and I like learning new things.

BigManAquatics
That's true. But I get where OP is coming from. I like to change gears every once in awhile as well. Keeps my passion for the hobby fresh and I like learning new things.
I get this part too. I also know how much work i am willing to do as well, though. But that is also one that everyone figures out individually.

Cowardlyslimeball
You could do a cool scape, like I am. Like a sand waterfall. All you need is some pvc pipe, lava rock (or just some light rock) an air pump, some tubing and a cylinder air stone. There's a youtube video on it, Ha y n fishkeeper I believe.

Advertisement

Megabeth
Pea puffers could be a fun option.
A couple of months ago I really wanted some but my LFS didn't have any and this was when were in lockdown so I didn't feel comfortable getting them shipped to me

Pfrozen
Im having a lot of fun with Beckford's pencilfish... you could start a blackwater breeding colony. they have very interesting behaviours and the way they establish their hierarchy is very cool

Megabeth
You could do a cool scape, like I am. Like a sand waterfall. All you need is some pvc pipe, lava rock (or just some light rock) an air pump, some tubing and a cylinder air stone. There's a youtube video on it, Ha y n fishkeeper I believe.
I think this would be so cool because the way one tank is set up you can see it from both sides and it super hard to scape so i think this would be really cool!

A201
Maybe use the 20 gal. as a wet pet tank for a solo "Exodon" aka Buck Tooth Tetra.
They don't require conspecifics, as a matter of fact the strongest Exodon usually kills off his own unless a big spacious tank & a huge school is provided.
You'll have bragging rights, housing a coloful, uncommon, meat eating tetra.
I almost bought a school of them some years ago, but was unable to quickly rehome my current stock at that time.
Not a boring fish. Lol

Advertisement

Megabeth
Maybe use the 20 gal. as a wet pet tank for a solo "Exodon" aka Buck Tooth Tetra.
They don't require conspecifics, as a matter of fact the strongest Exodon usually kills off his own unless a big spacious tank & a huge school is provided.
You'll have bragging rights, housing a coloful, uncommon, meat eating tetra.
I almost bought a school of them some years ago, but was unable to quickly rehome my current stock at that time.
Not a boring fish. Lol
Woah that's so cool! I would probably have to order online but I've never heard of them before, super cool!

A201
Exodons aren't rare, and usually are easy to find on line. Not too expensive either.
If I had a big spare tank, I would consider stocking a big group of them.

Nessaf
You could set up a scarlet badis (Dario dario) tank. They’re gorgeous little fish with big personalities.

Megabeth
You could set up a scarlet badis (Dario dario) tank. They’re gorgeous little fish with big personalities.
Wow those are so pretty!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SotaAquatics
Replies
Views
ktorg
Replies
Views
Ryan123
Replies