looking for a planting substrate...

abc123d30

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was looking for a substrate to put in my 10 gallon which will be a planted tank. I wanted to put in just a plain small grade pea gravel or quartz gravel for a main rooting substrate. Problem is I'm having a hard time finding small grade gravel.

What kind of substrate do you guys have in your tanks?/ Where have you gotten the substrate from?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like Eco-Complete personally. I get it from an Aquatic Rocks but they are only in Aus.
Flourite is another popular choice. 1 x 20lb bag of either is probably enough to do a 10gal tank.

You should be able to find a quartz based gravel just by ringing around a few places. Just ask them if they have what you want in stock.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use Seachem Flourite substrate, but after learning what I just did, my next tank will have CaribSea Eco-complete. It's cheaper and you don't need to wash it before use.

All of which are available from my LFS, or online.

There are many gravels that would be suitable too, I prefer a 'proper' substrate as it contains nutrients and trace elements beneficial to your plants.

[edit: by Nutter ]

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have the CaribSea Eco-complete as well. My plants are very doing well in it Looks awesome too! Big Al's carries it.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can use Eco-Complete or Flourite as the only substrate or you can use them underneath gravel or mixed with sand.

I don't recommend going as far as I did with the layering or different substrates. I have done that for the specific needs of my tank & doing that sort of thing would not normally be necessary.

abc123d30

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks for all the replys everyone.
You guys are a huge help!

Think I'm going to just use the ecocomplete as an only substrate.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom