Looking for a particular type of cichlid

kageMori

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
a long time ago my dad had an aquarium, about 10g if memory serves.

In it he had a particular type of cichlid but we never knew what type, but both he and I would like to try to find this type of fish again.

I think I've got it narrowed down to 2 types. But I'm unsure. Obviously they are on the smaller end of the cichlid family. My dad called it a "shell cichlid " but when i first started looking for it the guy at the petstore had no idea what I was talking about.

I Remember the fish being either yellow or gold with black stripes. He would pick up gravel with his mouth and spit it at the glass sometimes.

My dad said that he would "nest" and have a home or whatever set up with the gravel and shells and then my dad would mess with it by rearranging stuff and then the cichlid would go and rearrange it back to how he wanted it.

To me based on the looks and from what the description the sticker at my job had on an aquarium it sounds like a tiger cichlid, but whenever I tried looking it up online, it would just give me info on tiger Oscar's.

But any and all help on trying to figure this out would be much appreciated!

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Look up “shell dwelling cichlids” you should fine it there. My guess is a calvus, brevis, or multis from the description.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
"the guy at the petstore had no idea what I was talking about" LOL

My fish store guy told me my six Clown Loaches needed a 3ft tank and would live a max of 10 years. I bought a 6ft tank and still have them all 25 years later.

New Threads