Looking for a new catfish 20 Gallon Tank 

christine828

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm looking to get a new cleaner for the tank, my plecos are great for the algae, but I want something to scavenge for the leftover flakes when there are any. We have a 20 gallon tank now and will be moving up to a 46 gallon by August. I may get another "pretty fish" when I head to the pet store but other than that, the cat will be the last addition until we get the new tank set. Any suggestions on what will be good? I'm not crazy about the corys, but if that's what's best, I'm not against them.

Thanks!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could try some shrimp or Malaysian trumpet snails. From what I understand, most catfish grow to be huge and aren't suited for anything less than a 55 gallon (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!).

I love my corys but I'm not really sure they do that much clean up, which is why I'm getting the MTS.

-Lisa

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I like Pictus cats. Maybe you could look into them? They can be kinda' aggressive though, so be careful with that.

EDIT: ^^^Shrimp could work too.

christine828

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I had a pictus before, I loved him. Problem was I didn't read up on them before I bought it and he picked off my neon tetras one by one. I blamed the gourami for the longest time. He was kind of boring though, he didn't come out much and that was sad because he was so cool looking. I wouldn't mind getting another pictus but I'm not sure exactly what else I want to stock the tank with when we upgrade. I love guppies but I know those would be a nice meal for him.

As for the others mentioned, I've never had a shrimp or a snail. Wouldn't the snail infringe upon the pleco's territory? I mean, snails eat algae too, right? There isn't a spec of algae in the tank right now, those rubber plecos are great cleaners! What kind of shrimp, that could be interesting. I will have to look into this!

Thanks!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Shrimp would end up mostly being food for some of your fish. Something like a Synodontis Ocellifer springs to mind as being quite suitable. If there is room in the tank then perhaps a group of 3 Giant Cories (Corydoras Barbatus) would be good. At 5" long they are not your average Cory.

You could have a group of Loaches for clean up. Something like 4 x Yoyo Loach or 4 x Zebra Loach would work well & be very active. A Empire Gudgeon or Peacock Goby would also work pretty well.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Pictus cats are very active and a 20 gallon isn't big enough. I recommend a 55 gallon being the minimum. They also will eat smaller fish like Neons or Guppies.

Corys would be the best but they are social and need to be kept in a small group of 3-5. And need to be feed algae wafers, shrimp pellots, they enjoy frozen bloodworms, not just to be used as a cleanup crew for flakes. Corys are a very active fun fish.

Goodluck!

christine828

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
As I said before, I loved my pictus, I thought he was the most cool looking fish I'd ever seen but until I figure out exactly how I want to stock the rest of the tank, I'd rather stay away from another, even if he'd do alright once we upgraded to the 46 gallon.

Maybe the cory we had before didn't do well because he was solo, I guess I could give them another try.

As for feeding, I definitely won't make them survive on scraps alone. I already have the algae wafers for the plecos and I can toss some shrimp pellets in there too. But... how do I keep the gourami from eating it all? What a garbage fish!

A question on the bloodworms, as I noticed this when I had my pictus. They don't sink, how do the bottom feeders get some before the rest of the fish eat them all... or am I doing something wrong? I have Hikari freeze dried bloodworms at the moment and they just float at the top. Again, the gourami loves them, as do the others, but I want everyone to get their fair share.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Soak the bloodworms beforehand and make them sink. As for the wafers and pellets, distract the other fish by putting flakes at one end, and dropping the pellets and wafers in the other end while the others are eating the flakes. The cories will eventually learn what to do to get their meal.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The Malaysian trumpet snails burrow around in the substrate cleaning up bits of missed food and whatnot. Algae is only a secondary food for them.

There is a larger shrimp called a red claw macro that eats everything. They are, however, opportunistic and grab at fish if they can. Dwarf crayfish are another option that aren't supposed to be prey or predators as much as other inverts.

-Lisa

christine828

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
benjaminBreaker said:
As for the wafers and pellets, distract the other fish by putting flakes at one end, and dropping the pellets and wafers in the other end while the others are eating the flakes.

That's funny, because I tried that for one of the plecos, he was out scavenging around on the glass and I know there isn't much algae on there so I tossed in a wafer right next to him. Well, he ignored it but the gourami sure didn't. I figured if I threw in some flakes the gourami would come to the top long enough to give the pleco a chance to find the wafer. Nope. The gourami ate the flakes then went right back to the wafer... Poor pleco.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try to find Nutrafin Maxx Pleco Logs. They are really hard & sink like stones. None of the other fish will be able to eat it & will give up, leaving it for your Pleco.

christine828

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks Nutter, I just saw those at the store tonight when we got the corys. We brought home 4 peppered corys, they are sooooo tiny! They had dwarf corys too, you could barely see them in the tank they were so little. We also decided we're going with a 75 gallon tank when we upgrade instead of the 46. More fish!!!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads