10 Gallon Tank Looking for a good heater

FernAndJoop

Hi all! I'm working on planning out a budget 10 gallon, and the heater has really stumped me. I'm looking at around 50-75 watts in a fully submergible, adjustable heater, but it's hard to pick with so many brands. I have a 50w Aqueon adjustable in my 5.5 gallon and hate it, so I'd prefer other brands. The three brands I'm considering are Fluval, Eheim Jager, and Hygger. The only other constraint is I want it to be $30 or less, which should be doable. Thoughts?

FishPlanet

We get ours from Walmart for 14.99 and it's totally worth it. The brand is tetra. :)

FernAndJoop

We get ours from Walmart for 14.99 and it's totally worth it. The brand is tetra. :)
I've had good experiences with tetra in the past actually (I enjoyed the 50w preset heater & plan to use it in 2.5 gallon QT) but do you know if they make adjustable heaters? I'm primarily looking for that in case I need to change the temperature for illness or something.

FishPlanet

I've had good experiences with tetra in the past actually (I enjoyed the 50w preset heater & plan to use it in 2.5 gallon QT) but do you know if they make adjustable heaters? I'm primarily looking for that in case I need to change the temperature for illness or something.

Topfin heaters. I love mine!! I can adjust the temps and it stays there!

NearMeBettas

I'd get a $14.99 heater from Walmart and then buy a thermostat. You can plug multiple heaters into it.

A201

I use Eheim Jager heaters on my tanks. Very durable & reliable.

FernAndJoop

I'd get a $14.99 heater from Walmart and then buy a thermostat. You can plug multiple heaters into it.
Is this the one from walmart you're talking about? Aquarium Heater, Glass Explosion-Proof Heating Rod with Adjustable Temperature Knob and Temperature Indicator, Suitable for Various Fishtank

I do have a good thermometer in mind that I like. Also, what do you mean by plugging multiple heaters into it?
Topfin heaters. I love mine!! I can adjust the temps and it stays there!
They seem to have multiple kinds, is there a specific one you have?

NearMeBettas

Oooh they lowered the price lol. this is the one I'm talking bout but I have that heater and it also works well. Tetra Submersible Aquarium Heater, 50-Watts

FernAndJoop

I use Eheim Jager heaters on my tanks. Very durable & reliable.
I found a good one for around $25, but my only hesitation is the bad reviews. I know every heater has bad reviews but it seems like a disproportionate amount of them say it's faulty. Do they have a warranty or a reputation for good customer service? (sorry for being so picky lol, I was a little traumatized by aqueon so I don't play around w heaters now)

Cody

I have both Fluval and Eheim heaters and I am happy with both.

The Eheim has a little better Temperature dial as far as having more increments. But regardless once you get the temp dialed in they both hold temperature well so I think that holds little stock. But worth mentioning

FernAndJoop

Oooh they lowered the price lol. this is the one I'm talking bout but I have that heater and it also works well.
Oh yes I've seen that one! I think I actually have that one from my old 2.5 gallon and like it a lot, so I would buy one however I'm looking for an adjustable heater in case of illness.
I have both Fluval and Eheim heaters and I am happy with both.

The Eheim dial has a little better Temperature dial. But regardless once you get the temp dialed in they both hold temperature well so I think that holds little stock. But worth mentioning
Thanks for the input! I know Eheim Jager has a good reputation but I'm scared by all the bad reviews so I might be leaning toward Fluval. In general I like them a lot as a brand, I have some filter stuff from them and it's reasonably priced but also works well.

A201

I've had five or six Eheim Jagers over the years. They all worked fine & lasted a long time.
Back in the 1980' s I ran the old green colored "Jager" heaters. Lol. They were good too.

Cody

Oh yes I've seen that one! I think I actually have that one from my old 2.5 gallon and like it a lot, so I would buy one however I'm looking for an adjustable heater in case of illness.

Thanks for the input! I know Eheim Jager has a good reputation but I'm scared by all the bad reviews so I might be leaning toward Fluval. In general I like them a lot as a brand, I have some filter stuff from them and it's reasonably priced but also works well.
Keep in mind that that some bad reviews are user error. I find most heaters aren’t super accurate. Meaning you set it for 78 but the tank heats up to 80. But I always find you dial it down it “76” and it maintains 78 perfect for years. It’s more or less just learning how far off there are- annoying but to me as long as it holds temp, you’re fine.

I have found this consistent across most brands. Either way both the brands you’re looking at will do you well! But just throwing that out there from personal experience over the years.

My absoulute favorite heaters of all time were Marineland Stealth heaters. Super accurate and durable. Turns outs the developed a problem of bursting and leaking stuff into tanks and ultimately got recalled and pulled off the shelves forever. But for years before that they were a very popular and respected product! You just never know.

FernAndJoop

Thank you for all the input everyone, I think I've decided to go with the Fluval! They have a good warranty if it doesn't work out, and I should be able to lay it horizontally if it doesn't fit the way I usually do it :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Taydee
  • Question
  • Zonotrichia
  • Heater
Replies
Views
RayClem
  • Question
  • blindfaith429