Looking for a good air pump

MedicMike

I've got a 65gal tank with a single air stone in a volcano. The pump I'm currently using is a tetra whisper quiet pump to supply the air. So here are the things I'm running into and am asking for advice on; 1st this pump is quiet but the vibrations elsewhere drive me nuts, like against the cabinet as it vibrates across the shelf, and 2nd I've been noticing some water in the air line just recently. I'm guessing some moisture is pushing past the positive pressure. I'd like to hear about people's experience with good and quiet pumps. Brand etc. Also, I'd like to know what kind of pump people are using for bigger tanks. We have plans of moving in about 1-1.5 year and I plan on graduating from my 65 gal to something like a 180-250gal depending on where we buy a house. Any experiences you guys have would be nice to hear about! Thank you!

Lucyn

I've got a 65gal tank with a single air stone in a volcano. The pump I'm currently using is a tetra whisper quiet pump to supply the air. So here are the things I'm running into and am asking for advice on; 1st this pump is quiet but the vibrations elsewhere drive me nuts, like against the cabinet as it vibrates across the shelf, and 2nd I've been noticing some water in the air line just recently. I'm guessing some moisture is pushing past the positive pressure. I'd like to hear about people's experience with good and quiet pumps. Brand etc. Also, I'd like to know what kind of pump people are using for bigger tanks. We have plans of moving in about 1-1.5 year and I plan on graduating from my 65 gal to something like a 180-250gal depending on where we buy a house. Any experiences you guys have would be nice to hear about! Thank you!
I've actually had that exact problem with numerous air pumps. I find wrapping the air pump in a wash cloth completely negates the sound and cancels out the vibrations and makes it totally bearable. Worth a shot before ya buy a new one!

LifeGivesYouLemonOscars

I have a fluval Q2. Very quiet and also has an adjustable airflow which sealed the deal for me

MedicMike

I've actually had that exact problem with numerous air pumps. I find wrapping the air pump in a wash cloth completely negates the sound and cancels out the vibrations and makes it totally bearable. Worth a shot before ya buy a new one!
I had it wrapped previously but it always ends up the same way. It eventfully works its way out and the buzzing begins! I'll try wrapping it again maybe with a bigger rag. Thanks!

LifeGivesYouLemonOscars

Not a good idea to wrap electronics in anything it could overheat and potentially start a fire.

Sanderguy777

Not a good idea to wrap electronics in anything it could overheat and potentially start a fire.
That is definitely something your insurance company would say as they walk away from the coals without paying up...

But more likely is that the towel would smother the intake and kill the pump prematurely.

If you have a fish room or want a million airstones in the 180, then Alita's a6 is a good choice. They're not cheap but they last and they're quiet. Another (cheaper option) would be a Hygger (about $25 to $50 depending on the model). They've got the best anti-vibe feet I've seen...

Zeon

Well, I cannot say much about large quiet pumps for big tanks but I am using several marina pumps 100, 200 and 300. They have been silent except for a 50 that I dropped.. A few times.
Instead of wrapping the pump with a cloth, consider getting a very soft cloth like a chamois, folding it up and putting it under the pump. That worked for my vibrating marina (making it quiet) until I knocked it off the shelf into the water.. finally killing it.

MedicMike

I have been sporting a small towel under the pump for several years. I would like to find something that is quite on it's own. I don't really plan on running more than really 2 stones would be my guess. I've been happy with the single stone in my 65. When I go to the bigger tank I might run 2.
As far as price, I'm willing to pay more to get something that does a good job. Also building for the future...

KinderScout

Someone - can't remember who - suspended theirs with string somehow. We sit ours on the floor on cardboard tubes behind the cabinet (it had no back).

Water in your airline? Have you fitted a non-return valve? If not, there is potential for water to siphon out of your tank when the pump is off - water and Electrics don't mix! If the pump fails whilst your out then at least the 65g of water will put the fire out

MedicMike

Kinder, I have not had a check valve on the line but I just ordered 1. And yes in case for fire or failure the 65gal will put it out! lol

KinderScout

BTW we use a Sera Air Plus 275 - it has two airlines so we can attach one to the autofeeder when we're away to keep the food dry. Still booms if it touches the cabinet though
sera air plus | sera

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jmaldo
Replies
Views
DoraCory
  • Question
Replies
Views
Alejandro