10 Gallon Tank Looking for a fish buddy!

kmad

I'm looking for a small freshwater fish that has a personality and is pretty amiable. Some fish, although beautiful, seem dumb and oblivious. I want one similar to my female koi betta that is always happy to see me and very interactive. Any suggestions?

Peaches1710

If you want personality then a Blue Ram is the way to go, but a 10 gal would be too small I think and they prefer pairs. I would suggest another betta but otherwise maybe a dwarf/honey gourami????... though not sure if that would work so I'll leave that for someone with more experience.

Upvote 0

kmad

If you want personality then a Blue Ram is the way to go, but a 10 gal would be too small I think and they prefer pairs. I would suggest another betta but otherwise maybe a dwarf/honey gourami????... though not sure if that would work so I'll leave that for someone with more experience.
ok, thanks for the input!

Upvote 0

OutsideFoodBlob

Are you setting up a second tank or would this be a tankmate(s) for your female betta?
Do you already have tank or planning on purchasing? If you haven’t got tank just yet you could also look into stocking options for 15/20 gallon tanks. That would give you some more options for fish, especially those that are best in groups.
Have seen info about doing dwarf pea puffers solo in 10 gallons. The bettas are hard to beat in terms of sass and personality. I named my female Prima Donna and it really suited her.

Upvote 0

kmad

Are you setting up a second tank or would this be a tankmate(s) for your female betta?
Do you already have tank or planning on purchasing? If you haven’t got tank just yet you could also look into stocking options for 15/20 gallon tanks. That would give you some more options for fish, especially those that are best in groups.
Have seen info about doing dwarf pea puffers solo in 10 gallons. The bettas are hard to beat in terms of sass and personality. I named my female Prima Donna and it really suited her.
This would be a separate tank for my sister who fell in love with my fish as well. She's not really looking for something quite as big as a 20 gallon. I've looked into pea puffers, and they'd be perfect but I'm afraid of it getting bored as they are very active and intelligent. I've seen them bite at any other plants or invertebrate just for the heck of it, which wouldn't be a massive issue if it weren't for their sharp teeth.

Upvote 0

OutsideFoodBlob

Oh then a sassy female betta isn’t a bad choice at all. Are you both in the same household so you can help her learn about tank maintenance and feeding and such? Puffers seem a bit more high maintenance because of diet requirements. I suggested them but given what you want to do another betta is a good choice. Male or female will be quite happy in 10 gallons. There are plenty of betta keepers on here who can hopefully suggest tank mates. Or keep it simple and betta only.

Upvote 0

KrissyBunnie

I used to have a hardy platy that had quite the personality :cool:

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
  • Question
Replies
Views
alven