Looking for a Double bulb Light fixture

oohjohn

HI I'm looking for a T8 Double bulbed light fixture? any body know where I can get one? It is for a 20 gallon so a 24" if I recall

What I would like to do with it is to use a regular fluorescent and a actinic bulb. Not really going for a planted tank but what are some very low light cheap freshwater plants that maybe you can suggest may survive?

Also would using a an actinic and regular do anything bad for the fish/aquarium itself or is it just fine?

ryanr

HI oohjohn, welcome to fishlore

Is your tank freshwater or saltwater?

If Freshwater - Do you intend on keeping plants?

Actinics are generally used in marine (saltwater) for the purpose of growing corals/anemones... not 100% sure which as I don't keep a saltwater tank.

If you're looking at freshwater with plants, you'd be better served with two white lights (we can recommend what type), rather than actinic.

If it's freshwater, no plants, and you like the blue look of the actinics, then no problem.

As for T8 fixtures, I'm not sure what's around and probably depends what country you're in. I know our member Nutter uses T8s and builds them himself for the most part.

Personally I use a twin T5HO fixture as they are more readily found. But again, depends what country you are in?

If you could elaborate on the details, I'm sure we can help steer you in the right direction.

oohjohn

Yah I did try looking for a twin T8 but apparently they only come in 30"

It is a Freshwater tank but with barely any plants my plan is to just have fake plants and maybe some very low light plants like javas.

I live in California and am looking into the T5 fixtures but I really don't know the cost compared to T8 fixtures. If you can suggest any Twin T5s then that would be perfect.
My price range would be between $40 - 70 USD

ryanr

Well being from Australia, I'm not really familiar with what is available on the west coast, but we do have a number of members from CA who will be able to guide you as to what's around etc.

You could also try some of the online stores at the top of the page. From what I've found, you should be able to get yourself a twin T5 normal output within your budget (Coralife brand), but most high output fixtures I had a look at are around $100USD or more.

Again, wait for some of our more local members they'll know what is in your area.

oohjohn

would you say coralife brand is low quality compared to the $100 dollar worth ones and also compared to a T8?
I am willing to spend $100 dollars but would rather not you know.
Thanks for the info ill just have to wait

oohjohn

Ok so I did check out the online shops and am now wondering your opinion on which one I should really get. I don't really want to decide on my own as I might just cheap out and make the wrong decision

- would this work on a freshwater tank?
- is it to cheap?

- can I go to my LFS by T5 bulbs and switch them out?
- are they better than coralife?

- would these be too cheap?

Top Bottom