Looking for a coldwater bottom dweller

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HI all. I'm re-setting up my 46gal bowfront as a coldwater tank with one fantail goldfish and two small schools of leopard danios and white cloud minnows. The goldfish is my centerpiece fish and the danios and minnows will take care of my middle swimming level, but I was wondering if there are any bottomdwellers which are suited for "coldwater" tanks. This tank will be unheated (my house stays around 65-68F) and will hopefully be planted. It'll have pea gravel for the substrate and be decorated naturally with wild-collected rocks and driftwood. I don't necessarily need an "algae eater," but I have cories (pandas and an albino) as well as kuhlI loaches in my 55gal and they just complete the tank by being on the bottom there. Any ideas? My only real stipulation is that it has to be readily available. I don't want to order anything (the LFSs around here suck at ordering stuff for you...I asked one of them almost six months ago to order a pair of German Blue rams for me for my 55gal and they STILL haven't even looked, even though I've called them back three or four times to check).

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Some of the cory species can handle the lower temps.

rileyrk190

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could get a weather/ dojo loach? Those are cold water species and quite entertaining to watch.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree about the dojos, but they are social fish that like the company of their own kind. It's not that 1 wouldn't fit in your tank, but a group won't long term.

I hear you on the LFS special ordering. I've spent a lot of money in his store, buying entire schools of expensive fish, and yet he won't special order me anything.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dojo loaches aren't readily available around here, unfortunately. I live in a VERY small town (the entire area of four towns has a total population of under 50,000) and we have Petsmart, Petco and the two LFSs that aren't great. Oh, and one of our two Walmarts carries fish *shudder*. I'm thinking I might go with some peppered cories. The LFS I got my GBRs from today has peppered cories for $2 each (not the same LFS I asked to order me the GBRs all those months ago, but the other one which is even SMALLER!). Or, I could go with a rubbernose pleco. Looking into temperature ranges, their lower end temps are about where the higher end temps are for the standard coldwater fish that I'm using. Also, my substrate choice has changed from pea gravel to play sand because I didn't get to Lowe's in time to pick up the pea gravel tonight. lol I'm also not doing the tank planted, but am going for a rock quarry and driftwood look since this tank won't have a light fixture on it.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
corys are better suited to your tank size.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads