Looking For A Cheap 55 G Tank

1. cslix

cslix Valued Member Member

Hey looking to buy my first 55G.. I do want new.. However I know the cheapest new is probably when Petco has there $1 a gallon sale but its been taking a while for that to happen.. so I was wondering if you guys can give me any suggestions.. right nowI'vee only found two from petsmart one being
    $117.00USD while the other being.. $160.00USD.

2. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Craigslist and LetGo. Sometimes you can find them for free.

3. b

bluepixie Valued Member Member

Definitely check craigslist...sale section and I guess the free section may have one if you're lucky...check for cracks if it's super cheap though! I got a 75g with a stand and filter for 100 off there...they also had several tanks (just the tank) that were $1 per gallon and cheaper of course not new though...seems alot of people haggle prices down on there too.

4. OP
    OP
    cslix

yeah ive checked craigslist out and seen acouple decent ones on the cheaper side.. Im looking for new because im in an upstairs apartment and i dont wanna test if the tank holds water when i come home one day yaknow

5. b

bluepixie Valued Member Member

True...I would just pull out the sealer and reseal all the seams with pure silicone in that case if you're really worried (tutorials online)..tanks are going to be very expensive to ship online. -__- If you call petco they'll probablly tell you about when they're having their next $1 per gallon sale. I called and was told they do it twice per quarter and have the sale at the same time as other stores in the area and got an est of when the next sale would be. I don't know what else if you're wanting a cheap new tank...I'm sure you'll figure something out.

6. P

PosingOwl New Member Member

Check your local fish store. Mine has great deals on used tanks. They are selling a used 36 gallon and stand for around $40. They even resealed the tank.

7. wrs2

wrs2 Well Known Member Member

When did they say they were doing it again? Mine didn’t have any 20L last time and I want one bad! Haha

But Petco doesn’t always include the 55 in the $1 per gallon. Last time it was just 50% off.

And sometimes new tanks leak too. I had a new 10g that leaked, so new doesn’t always equal perfect!

8. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

40, 55, (and if they are being nice) 75 gallons are not under the 1$ per gallon anymore, they are 50% off their normal price (55 are 60$ plus taxes).
    When looking at used tanks, look at the seals, the glass itself, and the trim for any damage and wear. Sealing a tank takes a couple days (mostly to make sure it is clean before resealing and the seals are cured long enough, uncured silicone is toxic).

9. OP
    OP
    cslix

Ended up finding a 50 gallon at petsmart with a hood and fluorescent lights for $116.00 also a 75-gallon stand I got new for $90.. and a Fluval aqua clear 110 also a Eheim 150-watt heater all discounted came out to $275.00USD. What do you guys think :)?

10. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Make sure the tank fits on the stand well.

11. Fishaholic58

Fishaholic58 Valued Member Member

That sounds really nice. I wish the petstores near me had a deal like that.