Looking for a book

Phil1078

Hello, I am looking for a good aquarium (preferably freshwater) book that discusses the behavior of fish commonly found in aquaria. Many books talk about how to keep them, but I haven't really found any that talk about what they are like either naturally or when you keep them. I am also particularly fond of anabantoids, so anything you could recommend would be great. Thanks in advance for your time. It is appreciated.

pepetj

I found it better to get genus specific books. There are so many families of fish that it's virtually impossible to get detailed information in one volume.

If I were you I would start by looking for anabantoids specific families of interest books.

For Rainbowfish and Discus, two of the families of fish I keep I have several books; while on Bichirs I rely more in articles and forum info than in published material (which has review of being fair but not as detailed as I would like).

Amazon is a nice place to find good books but avoid Kindle edition aquarium books. I've purchased a few of those and only one I consider "fairly good" while the others are total trash.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

pepetj

I don't own nor have read any of the books listed below but the last one may be at least a good begginer level book.

Barron's (a nice fish related publisher) Gouramis and other labyrinth fishes, authored by Gary Elson and Oliver Lucanus, published in 2005. Lucanus is the author of a Discus book published also by Barron which I do have and consider fairly good.

Barron's have another book dedicated only to Bettas, published in 2001.

David Alderton authored in 2003 what seems to be an easy to read book on Bettas, Gouramis and anabantoids. Its title is: Bettas and Gouramis: Understanding Siamese Fighting Fish, Paradisefish, Kissing Gouramis, and Other Anabantoids (Fish Keeping Made Easy).

I suggest you look for "user reviews" before purchasing any aquarium book you're not familiar with (that's what I do).

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

amberskye

Phil1078 said:
Hello, I am looking for a good aquarium (preferably freshwater) book that discusses the behavior of fish commonly found in aquaria. Many books talk about how to keep them, but I haven't really found any that talk about what they are like either naturally or when you keep them. I am also particularly fond of anabantoids, so anything you could recommend would be great. Thanks in advance for your time. It is appreciated.
did you ever find a good book?
I'm looking myself

Akari_32

I have the Encyclopedia of Aquarium Fish. Its mostly freshwater, and is sectioned off familys and general groups. Pretty good info too, but a bit out dated.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom