Looking For A Bit More Stocking Advice!

DeviledFrogs

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey everyone!

So my current situation is as follows. I have one lovely crown tail betta accompanied by 6 harlequin rasboras and 2 emerald cory cats in a 20 gallon tank, kept around 78 degrees.

The corys are being rehomed soon, as at the size they get to I can't really get them some more buddies as they should have.

I am currently thinking of replacing them with a clown pleco, as well as 6-8 Pygmy corys. Are those numbers ok for the tank? And if I do get the pleco, does anyone have experience with them in planted tanks? I've read they occasionally eat plants, and would hate to have my lovely plants nibbled on. (I do have some Malaysian driftwood, as I know that makes up a decent portion of their diet).

Thanks for the feedback in advance!

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Is this a 20 high or long?

Pygmy corys are more of a mid-dwelling species than bottom. They're also not temp compatible with a betta.

OP
D

DeviledFrogs

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's 18 inches in height, so I'm guessing that is considered a 20 high. As for the corys, most sites list their temp range from 72 to 79, which my tank fits into.

Also, is there a difference between dwarf and pygmy corys? The fishlore site says they are the same fish and simply go by these different names, but it has the dwarf cory temp listed from 77 to 82, which is higher than for the so called pygmys. (If they are indeed different, I was referring to dwarf corys in my original post, not pygmys)

Piaelliott

Well Known
Reaction score
Clown plecos are very messy, they need wood in their diet. Planetcatfish is a great site to get info.

There are 3 different dwarf Corydoras
C. Hastatus
C. Pygmaeus
C. Habrosus
only the habrosus stay mostly at the bottom. As far as I know, they like cooler water and wouldn't be temp compatible with your tank. Again, planetcatfish is a good resource, as well as seriouslyfish and fishbase.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think that would be a high but what's the length of the tank?

There are many species of "dwarf corys" like pygmaeus, habrosus, hastatus. Some of the Fishlore profiles aren't accurate. I would go withplanet catfish but ideally, you'd want to stay in the mid point of a temp range and not at the upper/lower ends.

OP
D

DeviledFrogs

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The base is 24x12. I'll take a look at planet catfish and see what I come up with, thank you both for the help. I might have one or two final questions after I do my research

OP
D

DeviledFrogs

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alright so I see that indeed most corys are not suitable for this temp range, except for some specific german panda cory which I doubt I'll find at any LFS. Clown plecos also seem to have a reputation for nibbling on plants and creating a mess in general with their munching of driftwood, although if someone can vouch for one of these guys I'd be more than happy to take him in.

As for bottom feeders/fish similar in size and schooling to corys, does anyone have any recommendations for this setup? There's just so many different options I feel a bit overwhelmed, so if someone has any recommendations I'd gladly listen.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you're going to add the pleco, I don't think I'd add any other bottom dwellers. Maybe a couple of snails and shrimp if your betta leaves them alone. If you don't go with the pleco, what about kuhlI loaches if you have sand or smooth gravel?

OP
D

DeviledFrogs

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
He's a fairly peaceful betta, so that first setup is definitely a possibility I wouldn't mind looking into. (I hate to be a bother but this is my first tank, and I'm careful to mess things up, so what would be good quantities to include of these fish were I to get them? Loaches included)

The substrate is some brown gravel from nat geo, don't know if that's considered smooth or not.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
After you rehome the corys, I would just do one clown pleco. If you're going with kuhlI loaches, I'd get 6-8.

OP
D

DeviledFrogs

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
First of all el337, I just want to say huge thanks for all the advice, this is going to help so much.

I've just got two final small questions (I think) that I can't really research, and for the rest about the loaches and whatnot I'll find myself.

1: Would adding more rasboras be reasonable? They look awesome when they school together, and seeing as how they don't go anywhere near the bottom, I wouldn't mind adding a few more (I'm thinking anywhere between 2-6 more, let me know what you think)

2: Can I have some shrimp or snails (even just 1-2) with the loaches? I've had algae growth on the very few anubias plants I do have, and since I plan on adding a lot more plants soon, as well as with the pleco gone, I'm a little worried algae will become an issue.

Again thank you for your feedback, this is invaluable advice

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'd get 2 more rasboras max.

Shrimp and snails would be fine even after adding the loaches. However, algae is best controlled by getting to the root cause and fixing it - i.e, less lighting, more water changes, scrubbing it off, etc.

And I'd have a back-up tank ready in case your betta decides it doesn't like having more fish to share the tank with.

Uglyboy210

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think snails and loaches would be your best bet.

Uglyboy210

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've had a clown pleco in my planted 75gal for 4 months and I've only seen him 3 times

New Threads