Looking after new Chaeto in clean water

richiep

I've just received a nice tub of Chaeto but the problem is my reactor won't be here till monday.
Although it looks clean you never know, so what's my best setup
Can I use a 15lts tank with a mix of salt and pump, will the Chaeto be ok rolling around in a fresh mix
I do have water butt's outside I could mix salt with that so its not to fresh, but at the moment I don't know whats best.

Flyfisha

Well I have absolutely no clue on this richiep.
But a quick search on google makes me an expert ( lol ).
https://www.100percentreefsafe.com.au/chaeto-macro-algae
The way I read this link you toss most of it away as it multiplies in the filter on a regular basis anyway? In which case even after you get “ the answer “ I would be splitting it into 3 containers and storing it in slightly different conditions , if you have more than 3 handfuls?

If I was listening to the woman in my local club giving a presentation about a do it yourself refugium she had a lot of lED light up close in her setup.
She had LED strip lighting wrapped tightly around it.
Is lighting important in the short term?

If you get contradicting information spitting it into separate containers may help short term?

richiep

Flyfisha Thanks for the response, the link only gives me the advert but your explanation is understandable and I think a good point to split it up into three, I've got lights ready, my main concern was I've read it likes dirty water to quarantine apparently this is a must or you could put other pests in the tank as it collect them. My only choice is to put it in fresh made up water or rain water thats been sitting all winter,
Short term this is what I've done 4" of tank water and what was left in my skimmer i added

Attachments

• 1651852090736468792844317983163.jpg
    1651852090736468792844317983163.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 3

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TheWalkman
  • Question
Replies
Views
Tofa