Lookdown fish - decisions?

1971roadrunner

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Lookdown fish has been on my bucket list of a fish to keep for decades and now I may finally have the set-up to keep one. I've done a lot of research on this fish and my lfs alerted me to the fact that they will have 3-4" examples of them in within two weeks and will hold the two best for my 180g fowlr if I ask. They grow large (11-15" in captivity) eventually though my plan is to have a 250-300g fowlr in around 2 yrs anyhow. My lfs who sells a fair amount of these told me I could keep two of these in my tank for 2yrs or more no problem and if necessary they would take them back (one of the few types of fish they would) but no refund/exchange which is fine with me. I never got a fish without the knowledge that I would be able to keep the fish throughout it's life though I'm now keeping potentially much larger fish than ever. The information I've gathered on being able to do this is ambiguous and I've found many who say a minimum of a 300g is mandatory no matter what. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teishokue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
they grow large, you might just want to obtain smaller samples then grow it out. thus you wont require a 300 gal off the bat

1971roadrunner

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Exactly, like/said in my post the ones my LFS are getting in are around 4" so I have that covered. I've been talking with others who have/had them or better know about them today and they are telling me I could do it but would need at least three (not just the two) since they are schooling fish which I knew but at least three is required for them to be comfortable. I'm thinking I'll just wait it out maybe and just pick up another baby puffer, trigger or both for now? Any other opinions would be great though.

Well the final decision is NO based on what I've heard. I'm not getting them! Cant afford three as two are very pricey anyway and kinda glad for this answer in part. I'll guess this plan will have to go on the back burner once again - oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:

1971roadrunner

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Rivieraneo and very clever. I'm being talked into a baby Blueline Grouper so I feel better now . Tough fish!?!?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom