Look what Petco did!

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The key is "the woman in the fish department"
My local petsmart stores are both good as far as their staff, but one is still definitely far better than the other. And that's due largly to one of their girls having a willingness to learn a bit more about the fish she was selling 4 or 5 years ago. She now oversees the fish department at both stores.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lol some Petco are better than others. I was hoping he was going to say that they. Gave him cardinals instead of neons. Because anybody who keeps discus knows neons don’t like the heat :). Maybe he’ll explain that in another video :).

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The Petco's in my town aren't too bad with their employees in aquatics. Several of them keep fish on the side! Don't know about our petsmarts, i mostly just get supplies their. Try to keep the fish purchases at my LFSs as much as possible. Or when i know certain Petco employees working :)

sairving

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't buy fish at my local Petsmart. Last time I was there nobody noticed the clearly long dead goldfish in the way over stocked goldfish tank. I've bought a heater at Petsmart. I had a heater emergency and they were the first one open on a Sunday morning. Otherwise, they don't have a lot, even food.

My local Petco has a really large, nice fish department. Tons of fish food, water treatments, medications, tanks, lids, filters etc. The fish are healthy and active.

I still prefer my awesome local fish store but Petco is just fine for some things. It would be nice if my Petsmart had a nicer fish department since we are there a lot. My dog gets his nails trimmed at the grooming salon and my cat has a chicken intolerance. I've read all the cat food labels and know what food she can have.

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
sairving said:
I wouldn't buy fish at my local Petsmart. Last time I was there nobody noticed the clearly long dead goldfish in the way over stocked goldfish tank. I've bought a heater at Petsmart. I had a heater emergency and they were the first one open on a Sunday morning. Otherwise, they don't have a lot, even food.

My local Petco has a really large, nice fish department. Tons of fish food, water treatments, medications, tanks, lids, filters etc. The fish are healthy and active.

I still prefer my awesome local fish store but Petco is just fine for some things. It would be nice if my Petsmart had a nicer fish department since we are there a lot. My dog gets his nails trimmed at the grooming salon and my cat has a chicken intolerance. I've read all the cat food labels and know what food she can have.
I looked into applying to join Petco's aquatics department some time ago. One of the main requirements was 1 or 2 years as a hobbyist for both fresh and saltwater tanks. No clue for petsmart.

sairving

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Betta'sAnonymous said:
I looked into applying to join Petco's aquatics department some time ago. One of the main requirements was 1 or 2 years as a hobbyist for both fresh and saltwater tanks. No clue for petsmart.
Not sure for PetSmart either. The employee I was talking to at Petco was into Saltwater tanks. He said everyone else that worked in the department had freshwater tanks.

sairving

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FishBoy101 said:
My Petco doesn't show much difference than your average fish store. Nothing out of the ordinary.
My Petco is way better than my PetSmart but the local fish store is better than both. I'm just at PetSmart more because of my dog and cat.

MiaK

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Both my Petco and Petsmart are very bed at fish, Every time I see dead fish in the tank - a few months back I bought 15 neon tetras at Petsmart and they just bagged me 1 dead fish... I asked for replacement right after guy packed them - later in quarantine tank they kept dying one by one. My petco has ick in tanks (Petsmart as well at least in Tetras tanks. My only Local fish store (I was excited to find it) is no better... There were dead fish in 6 tanks last time I went there last week - 3 ladies working there were just having conversation for my whole 20 minutes visit - it took me 5 minutes to look at every tank which they could do to see dead fish. Plus 2 poor figure 8 puffers covered in ick laying on the bottom hopelessly :( I even asked if they are okay (puffers) and girl told me they are just shy <facepalm> After all of this I will never ever buy live fish until our next PCS order.... I just buy fish online

sairving

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MiaK said:
Both my Petco and Petsmart are very bed at fish, Every time I see dead fish in the tank - a few months back I bought 15 neon tetras at Petsmart and they just bagged me 1 dead fish... I asked for replacement right after guy packed them - later in quarantine tank they kept dying one by one. My petco has ick in tanks (Petsmart as well at least in Tetras tanks. My only Local fish store (I was excited to find it) is no better... There were dead fish in 6 tanks last time I went there last week - 3 ladies working there were just having conversation for my whole 20 minutes visit - it took me 5 minutes to look at every tank which they could do to see dead fish. Plus 2 poor figure 8 puffers covered in ick laying on the bottom hopelessly :( I even asked if they are okay (puffers) and girl told me they are just shy <facepalm> After all of this I will never ever buy live fish until our next PCS order.... I just buy fish online
That's bad. I think big box stores can be hit or miss. One would think though a stand alone fish store would want to take care of their fish. Guess not though.

Pariah

Reaction score
Amish country Ohio. Home state: Alaska (interior)
Experience
5 to 10 years
sairving said:
That's bad. I think big box stores can be hit or miss. One would think though a stand alone fish store would want to take care of their fish. Guess not though.
I've noticed that about chain stores. We have both Petco and Petsmart about an hour away in Wooster and they are both shady. However, the Petco in Newark was great and the guy working couldn't have been cooler and seemed to have a decent head on his shoulders. Our LFS of choice is a smaller chain called Pet Supplies Plus, which again, can be hit or miss, but ours is awesome. Small selection, but the staff rocks and always go the extra mile to make sure we leave happy.

We used to have another mom and pop type store which, thankfully, got shut down and criminal charges brought against the owners for animal abuse and neglect. We are talking abuse and neglect like you'd see in the old Animal Planet police type shows and worse! It took years for anything to happen, which says a lot about the laws here and those who supported them. As bad as some chain stores are, I've never seen any that intentionally neglected or abused the animals. Most are just poorly trained kids who simply do not know better, but have no ill intentions.

Ok, I'm shutting up now. Just thinking about it is driving up my blood pressure.

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
StarGirl said:
They plopped and dropped....the horror! :eek: That kitten wanted the fishies! lol
I stopped watching there videos. A few things erked me. I'm not perfect but they laugh about cat in room. And another video causually say cat took all plants out of tank and cat was still right there. And yep plop. Lol

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Unfortunately in west Virginia where I am my lfs is horrid. They haven't had saltwater fish in months. Says it's too expensive to get shipped right now. But all the saltwater tanks are still disgusting. Hair algea everywhere. Their feshwater tanks are just as bad. They do have fish but it's algea ridden and sick fish. Now the 2 petcos by me are great. Clean tanks. No dead fish minimal algea. PetSmart it's the same clean tanks and taken care of. Tomorrow I am driving an hour and a half to a nice lfs. They are definitely the best around.

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Reaction score
I wish they would do a separate one on petsmart. Simply bc they are similar in concept, yet certainly not the same store,
so I would like to see how the Petsmart’s they visit are. Also I live in Maryland, which also piques my interest, though nowhere near them.

New Threads