Look in The Net!

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
I was moving my platys into the Q tank today from the ten gallon that they had been in.  (I am using them to keep my 5 gallon tank cycled).  Anyway, after I had caught them and acclimated them to the tank, I saw the net was still by the tank so I picked it up, and much to my surprise Freckles was in it. He looked very dry and very close to death.

I quickly put him into the 10 gallon but thought I had murdered him as he was just floating upside down and was hardly moving. I put the heat up on the tank to 84 degrees, the same as I would have done if he was a betta.  I watched him closely and eventually he swam a little bit to the java moss that was in the tank.  Then he just flopped there and looked dead.  I left him alone hoping that he would come out of it. 

About every half hour he would mave a little bit again to a new spot where he would again droop over the moss and look dead.  Eventually he moved to the gravel and just sat there doing nothing.  I was sure that he would die anytime, but didn't want to give up on him.  He kept changing the area he was in, but wasn't very active.  Then, just a few minutes ago, he started to slowly swim around to a number of different places before stopping to rest again. 

I am beginning to think he might make it!  I certainly hope so.  I am very fond of Freckles and would hate to think I had murdered him by my carelessness.

I learned my lesson.  The little buggers are sometimes very hard to catch when you want to, but they are so fast that they can also end up hitch hiking with another fish that you are moving.  From now on I'm looking in the net closely to make sure there are no hitch hikers. 

CherryRose

AesSedai

Reaction score
Awww

((Freckles))

I'm glad you didn't, erm, bury him or however you would approach the loss of a fish. That's another good lesson shared too...be sure they are gone! before helping them move to greener pastures..ugh! Lucky for him you gave him the time.

TY for sharing that. I'll learn from your experience and always check the net!

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
Hope Freckles pulls through. Fish can be a lot more resilient than we think, so, fingers crossed!

It's true about watching out for them when we're doing maintenance, moving things around, or even doing water changes. When GB was in his darkened tank and the only way to do water changes was to empty his tank with a water glass, I often scooped out a glassful to find GB in the bottom of the glass about to be dumped. In fact, he did get dumped once and, into a general-purpose, housecleaning pail; a bad pail for putting fish. He wasn't there a second, though, not even long enough for him to move before I scooped him back up to return him to his tank.

Good luck Cherryrose, and double that for Freckles.

Mike

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Aww Poor freckles. Do you know how long he was out for approximately? He should pull through OK I hope. His body might just be in shock and it might just a little while for him to get out of that. As long as he is moving around a little that is a good sign. Good luck to both of you. Natalie

P.S. I for sure will double check my net from now on.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known
Reaction score
ohhhhhhhhh! poor Freckles . I have learned from your mistake - though I don't have it as bad cause I only have to move one fish at a time - I have bettas.... well so sorry to hear about Freckles and hope he pulls through... Miley

OP
C

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
I have good news this morning!  Freckles is not only swimming around more he is also eating.  He is still moving slowly and is stopping to rest occasionally, but he is istill alive and is slowly improving.  I am so relieved.   BTW, he was out of the tank for at least an hour!!!

CherryRose

heatmisr

Reaction score
Cherryrose, I am so glad to here that Freckles is starting to feel better!

Nicole

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
That's good news, cherryrose.  Glad to hear Freckles is coming around.  Hopefully all he sustained was a bit of a shock and will recover completely.

Mike

OP
C

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
Yeah.  He seems to be acting more and more normal as the day goes by.  I am so glad that I didn't give up on him.  He has always been special, but now that he has survived my carelessness he is even more special.  ;D I meant to edit this post, not the other one! I think Freckles was out of the water for over an hour. He is such a survivor!!!

CherryRose

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
Out of the water for an hour and still able to breathe, he must indeed be a miracle fish!

Mike

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are known to be able to survive a lot of things. Even been known to survive attempts to "put them down" this is why when they are euthanized it is not recommended to freeze them or put them in cold water as they appear dead but their brains are still functioning (documented) and they can revive.

Horrible subject, enough of that..just used it as an example of their resiliency.

Rose

OP
C

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
I'm glad my Freckles is a member of a group of resilient fish. I wouldn't have given 2 cents for his survival chances when I discovered him out. I am still a little worried about him though. He still seems to need to rest a lot more than Speedy. I sure will be glad when and if he gets back to normal.

CherryRose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so relieved to hear he is doing ok. I have come to the conclusion catfish are invincible. ;D Just keep watching him closely...it is possible he will have been stressed out or injured a little and develop a disease afterwards. Mist is cheering him on. (Mist is my invincible baby who got through really bad finrot, a tuberculosis epidemic, getting stuck in the base of a floating plastic plant only partly submerged, torn fins afterwards with finrot again.......) Heh and here catfish are supposed to be delicate. Let us know how Freckles is doing.

OP
C

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
Hey, everybody. I just wanted to let you know that my miracle fish, Freckles, seems to be back to normal. He is again very active and doesn't seem to be needing to rest like he was. Thanks for all your concern and caring comments. Way to go Freckles!!! ;D

CherryRose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so glad to hear he's back to normal!! Catfish are amazing little guys, aren't they?...they just refuse to give up. Mist will be very glad to hear there is another miracle catfish among our ranks. ;D

New Threads