Look At Photo: Is Betta Sick Or Depressed?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by claud1a, Apr 13, 2017.

1. c

claud1a New Member Member

Please look at the photo attached. I have him in a happy 5 gallon tank, all levels are fine per 5-in-1 easy strips and tank is at a nice 80F with a filter of course. I've had fish for almost 2 years. For the past 2 weeks he has been sitting at the bottom of the tank, or hiding, and not coming up for food. I had stopped feeding him for a few days to see if he was constipated...no change. He won't come up for food. Though he is grayer in color and clearly a bit stressed or unwell, I don't see any other physical signs of illness...do you? Ick? Parasite? Depression? I give up.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. meyowmeow

meyowmeow Valued Member Member

I'm sorry your buddy isn't acting like his normal self :( I couldn't see any ich or noticeable problems in the pic. Perhaps you could grab a liquid test kit for more detailed water test results - the strips are ok but not usually as accurate as a liquid test kit. I highly recommend the API master freshwater kit - it costs a few extra bucks but it lasts a LONG time and really can help with a diagnosis.
    Another thing to consider - did you do any recent tank cleanings or filter changes?

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Poor guy doesn't look good. If a betta won't eat, there is a problem. Does he come up for air? When he does, what do his fins look like? I am assuming that this is not his normal coloring. He is very thin from not eating and he looks very weak.

4. OP
    OP
    c

claud1a New Member Member

He looks unwell. I feel terrible for him. His fins look beautiful and intact. No problems there. I appreciate everyone looking at the photo -- it's just so sad :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice