Look At Photo: Is Betta Sick Or Depressed?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by claud1a, Apr 13, 2017.

1. claud1a

claud1aNew MemberMember

Please look at the photo attached. I have him in a happy 5 gallon tank, all levels are fine per 5-in-1 easy strips and tank is at a nice 80F with a filter of course. I've had fish for almost 2 years. For the past 2 weeks he has been sitting at the bottom of the tank, or hiding, and not coming up for food. I had stopped feeding him for a few days to see if he was constipated...no change. He won't come up for food. Though he is grayer in color and clearly a bit stressed or unwell, I don't see any other physical signs of illness...do you? Ick? Parasite? Depression? I give up.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. meyowmeow

meyowmeowValued MemberMember

I'm sorry your buddy isn't acting like his normal self :( I couldn't see any ich or noticeable problems in the pic. Perhaps you could grab a liquid test kit for more detailed water test results - the strips are ok but not usually as accurate as a liquid test kit. I highly recommend the API master freshwater kit - it costs a few extra bucks but it lasts a LONG time and really can help with a diagnosis.
    Another thing to consider - did you do any recent tank cleanings or filter changes?

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Poor guy doesn't look good. If a betta won't eat, there is a problem. Does he come up for air? When he does, what do his fins look like? I am assuming that this is not his normal coloring. He is very thin from not eating and he looks very weak.

4. OP
    OP
    claud1a

claud1aNew MemberMember

He looks unwell. I feel terrible for him. His fins look beautiful and intact. No problems there. I appreciate everyone looking at the photo -- it's just so sad :(