Look after Platy Fry (beginner)

HoneybeeHoney

Hi guys!

I have had my five Platy fish for about two months now, two males three females.
About three weeks ago i got another female platy, to improve the ratio! She is the only southern platyfish we have In the tank, and did look a little pregnant but we didn’t think she was close to birth!
However, on Wednesday I looked in the plant and BOOM, platy fry, I knew it was her because her gravid spot is now not visible and she is now more active!
Her name is sophie, this is her two days before she gave birth!

D153D13C-EC8D-4C6F-AF8F-7FD5012234D7.png

(We presume some are still in the main tank because they keep appearing from plants)

We caught nine fry and separated them in a spare tank, a marina 360, (small yes but we will keep some and put them in the big tank when they are old enough and many will be sold and given away) however we are afraid the filter may suck them in!

Does the water need to be filtered? Or can we leave it and just do daily water changes?

This is the first time we have had fry and I just want to make sure I’m not making many errors!

Thanks for your help!!!!

Noroomforshoe

Any fry will be more sensitive to water quality issues then the adults.
Fry need to be fed 3- 4 times a day. even if you feed very small amounts like you should, the water will get dirty fast.
this is why a filter, heated, cycled aquarium is important to raise healthy fry.
If you do not have a proper set up, A breeder net might be a better place for the fry. especially if you get a large one. or DIY a large one.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • HoneybeeHoney
  • Platy
Replies
Views
lobobrandon
  • Question
  • HoneybeeHoney
  • Platy
Replies