Lonley molly?

1. heather84 Member Member

I have a gold moly he is one of the first fish we got when we set up our tank back in june. Recently hes going threw these odd spells were he just sit on the bottom of the tank.

The water is fine, he has no visible injuries or anything--no signs of disease
    If he sees me looking in the tank he runs over to greet me
    He does play and swim around the tank like normal
    He eats like normal

within the last 2 months we lost 2 fish (both mollies).....1 of which was bought at the same time the gold molly was and was housed alone with the gold molly for a few weeks. The other fish we lost also a molly was the gold mollies little buddy they chased eachother around playing alot. So im wondering is hes just lonley because his friends are gone---even tho i have other fish (including mollies)

maybe i should buy him a friend just like him?

2. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

he could definitely be lonely, it's been my experience that mollies generally like to be in groups of three. do you have exact readings on your water parameters and do you know what happened to your other two mollies?

3. heather84 Member Member

I had more mollies in the tank so he wasnt alone. I dont know were i put the sheet i keep my readings on but i will attempt to find it.

Anyways, sadly the little guy passed away today. I found him laying on his side on the rocks not moving and very shallow breathing then he just stopped breathing

Now, my other 2 that died did the same thing but they were fine 1 minute, eating playing etc then later they were on there side breathing shallow then just stopped breathing. I immediatly thought amonia but its 0 and has always been and we have done numerous water changes since the first 2 died. Whatever it is appears to be hitting my mollies (or just a odd coincidence)

4. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

i'm really sorry to hear about that :(