Longtime Fishkeeper Returning To The Hobby

MoombasWrath

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi! I am a longtime fish keeper (most of my experience is in saltwater tanks but I kept discus for a few years many moons ago) but returning to freshwater.

I am returning to the hobby after a hiatus.. I live in the Baltimore area and about a year ago we had prolonged blackout. I had a thriving SW tank at the time, filled with corals and a beloved copperband butterfly, among other fish. I had a battery backup that could run the pumps for 3 days (I thought, when could I possibly need backup power longer than that?).. well, we lost power for 5 days, and with an infant in the winter we had priorities besides the tank. This is all to say that, I took a long break because I was heartbroken that I lost everything. Now I am very tentatively ready to dip my toe in again, with freshwater.

So! I bought a 5 gallon tank with built in filtration, broke out an old heater, and am starting a betta tank. It is nearly done cycling. I have picked out a beautiful betta for it and plan to make it a planted tank.

Wow that ended up being long. Anyway glad to be here! Thanks for reading.

-Sarah

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome Sarah! I’m also in the Baltimore area.
Was the power loss after the derecho?
But glad you have returned!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom