Longfin Zebra Danio Missing Lower Jaw And Fin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshestFreshwater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am panicking right now! I came home after school day to find one of my longfin zebra Danio missing it’s lower jaw and almost its entire left fin. What the **** happened?!? It still acts normal, chasing other danios and swimming around. However it can’t eat..... I do have two Mexican dwarf crayfish with it and 6 Congo tetras but I figured that’s the danios are way to fast for the both of them and tend to sleep in the upper water column. All water parameters are 0 except nitrates at 10-20. What should I do?

Attachments

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if it is really missing the full lower jaw, euthanization might be the best way to go. The crayfish most likely got to your fish. All it takes is one day for the crayfish to get them. You could use clove oil to put down your fish which is painless and effective. You could also chop up the fish and give it to the crayfish to eat. You can't do both though because the clove oil is poisonous.

FreshestFreshwater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
if it is really missing the full lower jaw, euthanization might be the best way to go. The crayfish most likely got to your fish. All it takes is one day for the crayfish to get them. You could use clove oil to put down your fish which is painless and effective. You could also chop up the fish and give it to the crayfish to eat. You can't do both though because the clove oil is poisonous.
Is that my only option maybe if I relocated it to a different tank and feed it crushed up flakes instead?

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is that my only option maybe if I relocated it to a different tank and feed it crushed up flakes instead?
If it can eat those, it might stay alive. If it can't eat anything, obviously it will die.

FreshestFreshwater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
**** the mouth rot got worse today and has spread further down the left side of its face. I can see the danio chasing and trying to eat flakes but it can’t, not even the really tiny pieces. He also tends to only swim around the same area as if patrolling it

Kyleena696

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If he's really missing part of his jaw I would euthanize. Not being able to open or close his mouth would likely lead to eating and breathing problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom