Longfin vs Normal Danios

1. lovetuv Member Member

Hi guys - I am out and wanting to get some new danios and tetras for my 75 gallon. I was wondering if there is a difference in behavior between longfin and just the normal zebra danios? I think I remember reading the longfinned ones are more nippy but they'd be in a school of 10 so I don't think I'd have much of an issue. None of the other fish in the tank will be nippy and I can't risk getting any nippers. If I get a naughty one I can rehome if necessary. I just want to know if overall one is worse than the other. Thank you so much!!

2. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

IME they are the same as far as temperament.
    The long finned ones I had weren't nippy, but each fish has a different personality.
    What other fish do you have in the tank?

3. lovetuv Member Member

Thank you for your help :) Would regular and longfinned ones shoal together? The tank is not fully stocked yet, I finished silent cycling a few months ago. There are otos, neons, and cories as of now.

4. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

I don't know if they would shoal or not, it seems like they would, but I would get advise from someone else for that question ;)
    What is your final stocking plan? (I'm just wondering why you said no fin nipping would be tolerated)

5. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Same shoal, same temprament.
    longfin sometimes seem more agressive because when they nip, the marks are more visible.

6. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

I am in the same boat as the OP, no fin nipping is tolerated in my tanks either! I just don't like any violence in my supposedly peaceful and tranquil tank :)

7. lovetuv Member Member

Thank you so much for the clarification! I appreciate it :)

I also agree with the peaceful tanks = completely peaceful fish. I don't want to have to watch out for issues and have to separate fish and stuff, it just gets complicated for me. I am also getting a pearl gourami in my final plans, I don't want his little feelers to get nipped up. :)

8. octavio Member Member

Many years ago danios in my part of the world were pond fish used for mosquito control. They survive and thrive quite well with gold fish out of doors. I purchased three zebra danios as test fish after my 75 gallon tank cycled last year. They lived. So I felt confident adding more fish. I still have those same zebras: two long finned and one regular. I find them somewhat annoying, primarily because my intent was to create a dark water tank with schools of shoaling tetras and coryduras. The three danios seem to go out of their way to interfere with the peaceful behavior of their tank mates. Until I'm able to capture them and rehome them, I'm afraid the rest of the tank cannot escape them. They're fast little buggers. :)

9. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Doing a group of 10 you shouldn't really see any aggression or fin nipping. However, if you have less than 5 or 6, you might end up with some aggression.