Longfin Glo Danio??

Jeevanilla

Reaction score
is it possible to breed a longfin glo danio. For example, breed longfin zebra danios + pink or green glo danios. Would the fry be longfin glo danios? I’ve seen pics of red longfin danios, so is it possible??

Jeevanilla

Reaction score
You’re right!! However those are probably longfin glo TETRAS. They are beautiful but they’re a bit nippy. I want longfin glo DANIOS!

Thank youu for the reply tho!! Much appreciated @Fanatic

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just wait for them to come in store. To breed glofish intentionally or for profit would go against the company's "rules", aka you'd likely get a cease and desist notice from them.
You would have to breed back to the red glo danio to produce any possible glo danios, the longfin is a dominant trait so it would be a 50% longfin, 50% shortfin, if you are lucky half of those might be glodanio.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Jeevanilla said:
You’re right!! However those are probably longfin glo TETRAS. They are beautiful but they’re a bit nippy. I want longfin glo DANIOS!

Thank youu for the reply tho!! Much appreciated @Fanatic
I have seen them at my PetCo, longfin danios.

Jeevanilla

Reaction score
Fanatic said:
I have seen them at my PetCo, longfin danios.
Long fin GLO danios?

Mcasella said:
Just wait for them to come in store. To breed glofish intentionally or for profit would go against the company's "rules", aka you'd likely get a cease and desist notice from them.
You would have to breed back to the red glo danio to produce any possible glo danios, the longfin is a dominant trait so it would be a 50% longfin, 50% shortfin, if you are lucky half of those might be glodanio.
Half would be longfin glo danios? Bring back red glo danio? What does that mean? I know breeding them and selling is against the company rules. I’ll let them spawn naturally

Thunder_o_b said:
Agree with @Mcasella. Glow fish are patented.
What does patent mean?

DoubleDutch said:
A shame Mother Nature forgot to patent all her beautiful creatures.
What does patent mean?

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
“patent is an exclusive right granted for an invention, which is a product or a process that provides, in general, a new way of doing something, or offers a new technical solution to a problem. To get a patent, technical information about the invention must be disclosed to the public in a patentapplication.”
Source: Patents

So that means legally you can’t breed glo fish for profit. Whoever patented them has the exclusive right to do so!

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jeevanilla said:
Long fin GLO danios?

Half would be longfin glo danios? Bring back red glo danio? What does that mean? I know breeding them and selling is against the company rules. I’ll let them spawn naturally

What does patent mean?

What does patent mean?
Breed back to a red glo danio, how is that confusing (it means you have to take the spawn from a long fin danio and a red glo danio and breed it back to a red glo danio, preferably offspring that is long finned to result in a longfinned glo danio)? Spawning them naturally is intentionally breeding them, having the fish together in the "hopes" of taking and raising the offspring then breeding them again once they are grown is all intentional, which goes against the patent on the fish.
However if they already are producing glo danio (tetra, barbs, sharks, and not yet gone commercial angelfish) and long fins of the tetra, do you really think they do not have longfin danios in the making?

Jeevanilla

Reaction score
wrs2 said:
“patent is an exclusive right granted for an invention, which is a product or a process that provides, in general, a new way of doing something, or offers a new technical solution to a problem. To get a patent, technical information about the invention must be disclosed to the public in a patentapplication.”
Source: Patents

So that means legally you can’t breed glo fish for profit. Whoever patented them has the exclusive right to do so!
I never sell my fishes? They’re like my babies

Fanatic said:
Was it a Petco in California? In sac to be specific?

Mcasella said:
Breed back to a red glo danio, how is that confusing (it means you have to take the spawn from a long fin danio and a red glo danio and breed it back to a red glo danio, preferably offspring that is long finned to result in a longfinned glo danio)? Spawning them naturally is intentionally breeding them, having the fish together in the "hopes" of taking and raising the offspring then breeding them again once they are grown is all intentional, which goes against the patent on the fish.
However if they already are producing glo danio (tetra, barbs, sharks, and not yet gone commercial angelfish) and long fins of the tetra, do you really think they do not have longfin danios in the making?
I’ll just ask and find out when they are making the long fined glo danios then. Thank you

But if I took a long fin zebra danio + a green glo danio from Petco, are their fry going to be longfin glo danios? (yes or no) who has to be the mother and father

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FlipFlopFishFlake38 said:
Another issue is that the company often sterilizes their glofish to prevent people from breeding them.
That is not actually true, the fish are intact, it is just something to spread to prevent breeding attempts.
Jeevanilla said:
I never sell my fishes? They’re like my babies

Was it a Petco in California? In sac to be specific?

I’ll just ask and find out when they are making the long fined glo danios then. Thank you

But if I took a long fin zebra danio + a green glo danio from Petco, are their fry going to be longfin glo danios? (yes or no) who has to be the mother and father
If both parents do not have the glofish DNA to pass on I am going to treat it like a recessive trait (it has been proven that glofish to glofish produces fish just like the parents) and go with no. Which is why you would have to breed back to a glofish danio to produce glofish danio.
If you wish to keep pushing to try and go around the patent, expect a cease and desist letter if you try and continue breeding them. The patent allows them to go after people that intentionally breed these fish.

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mcasella said:
That is not actually true, the fish are intact, it is just something to spread to prevent breeding attempts.

If both parents do not have the glofish DNA to pass on I am going to treat it like a recessive trait (it has been proven that glofish to glofish produces fish just like the parents) and go with no. Which is why you would have to breed back to a glofish danio to produce glofish danio.
If you wish to keep pushing to try and go around the patent, expect a cease and desist letter if you try and continue breeding them. The patent allows them to go after people that intentionally breed these fish.
My apologies, I had read that around 99% were sterilized. Upon further research it seems that glofish do breed and create fertile offspring with each other and other danios.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FlipFlopFishFlake38 said:
My apologies, I had read that around 99% were sterilized. Upon further research it seems that glofish do breed and create fertile offspring with each other and other danios.
It would be too expensive to have sterile and nonsterile glofish for the company that produces them, it doesn't make sense because they need to continue their own breeding so why make them sterile? So instead they spread the rumor that they are sterile and pat themselves on the back.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If memory serves glow fish were developed from splicing jellyfish genes with fish genes. A fairly costly process. so I understand the patent. They do the same thing in patents for roses (flowers)

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thunder_o_b said:
If memory serves glow fish were developed from splicing jellyfish genes with fish genes. A fairly costly process. so I understand the patent. They do the same thing in patents for roses (flowers)
Jellyfish, corals, and something else now I believe, i'd have to look at the wiki.

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a handful of these in the red color. There's at least one gravid female in the bunch though I don't know if I'll get any fry out of them but it sure would be nice. I've got room for more and I like having colorful fish.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mcasella said:

How would they know if you are breeding them unless you try to sell them?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom